|Alabama State Senate District 33|
|November 5, 2018|
|Years in position||18|
|Minority Leader, Alabama State Senate|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|Next general||November 6, 2018|
|Bachelor's||University of New Haven|
|Date of birth||January 24, 1957|
|Place of birth||Mobile, AL|
Figures has served as Minority Leader since 2013.
Figures received a Bachelor's degree from the University of New Haven in Connecticut.
Figures served on these committees in the 2011-2012 legislative session:
- Children, Youth Affairs and Human Resources Committee
- Finance and Taxation Education Committee
- Governmental Affairs Committee
- Local Legislation No. 3 Committee
- Reapportionment Committee, Alabama State Legislature
- Rules Committee
- See also: Alabama State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Alabama State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014; a runoff election took place where necessary on July 15, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 7, 2014. Incumbent Vivian Figures was unopposed in the Democratic primary and was unchallenged in the general election.
- See also: Alabama State Senate elections, 2010
Figures won re-election to the 33rd District seat in 2010. She defeated Herman Thomas in the primary, receiving 6,572 votes to Thomas' 3,441. She then defeated Brad Moser in the November 2 general election.
|Alabama State Senate, District 33 General election (2010)|
|Vivian Figures (D)||23,241|
|Brad Moser (R)||8,419|
|Alabama State Senate, District 33 Democratic Primary (2010)|
|Vivian Figures (D)||6,572|
|Herman Thomas (D)||3,441|
Figures raised $132,500 for her campaign, while Jones raised $6,986.
|Alabama State Senate, District 33 (2006)|
|Vivian Figures (D)||19,029|
|Jeffery Jones (R)||7,594|
Figures raised $81,700 for her campaign.
In 2010, Figures raised $242,533 in contributions.
Her four largest contributors were:
|Alabama Education Association||$25,310|
|Medical Association of the State of Alabama||$15,000|
|Alabama Trial Lawyers Association||$15,000|
|Alabama Power Co||$12,500|
In 2006, Figures collected $132,500 in donations.
Her five largest contributors in 2006 were:
|Alabama Power Co||$10,000|
|Medical Association of the State of Alabama||$10,000|
|Business Council Of Alabama||$10,000|
|Milton E. McGregor||$10,000|
|Alabama Senate Democratic Caucus||$9,000|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
Note: As of January 2015, we were unable to locate any scorecards for the state of Alabama. If you are aware of a scorecard Ballotpedia has not included please email it to email@example.com.
Figures has three children. She resides in Mobile, Alabama.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Vivian + Figures + Alabama + Senate." Because the results are from a Google search, it is possible that some of the links below are not actually related to the legislator. Vivian Figures News Feed
- Alabama State Senate
- Senate Committees
- Alabama State Legislature
- Alabama state legislative districts
- Official Alabama State Senate website of Senator Vivian Davis Figures
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Project Vote Smart biography for Senator Vivian Davis Figures
- Campaign Contributions: 2010, 2006, 2002, 1998
- Vivian Figures for Senate on Facebook
- Alabama Democrats, "Qualified candidates for public office list," accessed February 25, 2014
- Alabama Republican Party, "State Senate," accessed February 25, 2014
- al.com, "Unofficial primary election results," accessed June 3, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "2010 Democratic primary results," accessed April 15, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed July 18, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official 2006 election results," accessed April 15, 2014
- Follow The Money, "Funds raised by 2006 Alabama Senate candidates," accessed April 15, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official 2002 election results," accessed April 15, 2014
- Follow The Money, "Funds raised by 2002 Alabama Senate candidates," accessed April 15, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- 2006 contributions to Vivian Figures
Michael A. Figures
|Alabama State Senate District 33
| Succeeded by|