Voting in Indiana
Energy • Environment • Fracking • Public education • Higher education • School choice • Charter schools • Public pensions • State budget and finances • Taxes • Voting • Ballot access • Redistricting
|Election policy on Policypedia|
| State poll times (2015) |
| Voting in the 2015 primary elections |
| Voting in the 2015 general elections |
|Voter identification laws by state|
|Voting information by state|
For full information about voting in Indiana, contact your state election agency.
To vote in Indiana, you must:
—Indiana Statewide Voter Registration System
When and where
Registration can be completed online or by submitting a form. A valid form of identification is required to register. Registration must be completed 29 days prior to the election.
As of March 2015, Indiana is one of 20 states that have implemented full online voter registration. Residents can register online at this website.
Voting on Election Day
- See also: Voter identification laws by state
Public Law 109-2005 requires Indiana residents to present a government-issued photo ID before casting a ballot at the polls on Election Day. Photo IDs must meet the following criteria for voting purposes:
- The ID must display a photo, your name (which should match voter registration records) and an expiration date.
- The ID must either be current or have expired sometime after the date of the last general election.
- The ID must be issued by the state or the U.S. government.
- See also: State Poll Opening and Closing Times
Indiana is split between Eastern and Central time zones.
- See also: Absentee voting
You are eligible to vote absentee in an election if you cannot make it to the polls on the day of an election for one of the following reasons:
—Indiana Election Division
Military and overseas voting
For full details regarding military and overseas voting, visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program.
- See also: Early voting
Indiana is one of the 33 states (plus the District of Columbia) that permit early voting in some form. Early voting begins 29 days before an election and ends on the day prior to the election.
Elections in Indiana
- Indiana elections, 2016
- Indiana elections, 2015
- Indiana elections, 2014
- Indiana elections, 2013
- Indiana elections, 2012
- Indiana Election Division
- Indiana Statewide Voter Registration System
- Indiana online voter registration
- University of Minnesota Humphrey School of Public Affairs - Smart Politics, "Which States Have the Longest and Shortest Election Day Voting Hours?" July 10, 2014
- Indiana Code, "Section 3-10-1-6," accessed January 3, 2014
- Indiana Statewide Voter Registration System, "Online Voter Registration," accessed June 10, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Indiana Statewide Voter Registration System, "Welcome," accessed June 10, 2014
- Indiana Election Division, "Photo ID Law," accessed June 10, 2014
- Indiana Secretary of State, "Election Day HQ," accessed January 12, 2015
- Indiana Election Division, "Absentee Voting," accessed December 19, 2013
- Indiana Election Division, "The Absentee Voter's Bill of Rights," accessed December 19, 2013
- Long Distance Voter, "Early Voting Rules: Indiana," accessed December 19, 2013
State of Indiana
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | State Examiner | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Utility Regulatory Commission |