Voting in Maine
Voting in 2014 Primaries
Ballot access for major and minor party candidates
Absentee voting • Early voting
Open Primary • Closed Primary • Blanket Primary
Online voter registration in the 50 states
To vote in Maine, you must be a United States citizen, at least 17 years of age, and have established a fixed principal home in Maine.
When and where
You can register to vote at your town office or city hall, through any Motor Vehicle branch office, in most state & federal social service agencies, or at voter registration drives. You can also register by mail. There is no deadline for voter registration if done in person. If registering by mail, the deadline is on the 21st day prior to the election.
As of August 2014, Maine is one of the 35 states that have not implemented online voter registration.
Voting on election day
According to Maine's "Voter Rights," registered voters in Maine are not required to show ID to get a ballot.
- See also: State Poll Opening and Closing Times
In Maine, municipalities with a population less than 500 open between 6 a.m. and 10 a.m., while municipalities with a population of 500 or more open between 6 a.m. and 8 a.m. -- all polls close at 8 p.m.
- See also: Absentee voting
All voters are eligible to vote absentee in Maine. There are no special eligibility requirements for voting absentee.
To vote absentee, an absentee ballot application must be received by the election office no earlier than three months prior to the election and no later than the third business day before the election. A returned absentee ballot must then be received by the elections office by 8 p.m. on election day.
Military and overseas voting
For full details, visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program here.
- See also: Early voting
Maine is one of 33 states that has early voting with no specific requirements as to who can vote early. Early voting begins as soon as ballots are made available and ends the day before election day.
- Maine Bureau of Corporations, Elections & Commissions, "State of Maine Voter Guide," accessed June 10, 2014
- Maine Bureau of Corporations, Elections & Commissions, "Your Right to Vote in Maine," accessed June 10, 2014
- Maine.gov, "Elections FAQ," accessed January 3, 2014
- Maine.gov, "Absentee Voting Guide," December 19, 2013
- Long Distance Voter, "Early Voting Rules: Maine," accessed December 19, 2013