Voting in Michigan
Energy • Environment • Fracking • Public education • School choice • Higher education • Public pensions • State budget • Taxes • Voting • Ballot access • Redistricting
|Election policy on Policypedia|
| State poll times (2015) |
| Voting in the 2015 primary elections |
| Voting in the 2015 general elections |
|Voting information by state|
For full information about voting in Michigan, contact your state election agency.
To vote in Michigan, you must meet be:
—Michigan Secretary of State
When and where
Voters must register at least 28 days prior to an election. You can register to vote by mail, at the county, city, or township clerk's office, or by visiting any Secretary of State branch office.
As of January 2015, Michigan is one of the 30 states that have not implemented full online voter registration.
Voting on Election Day
Each voter must present a photo ID at the polls. The photo ID does not need to include an address. A voter without a photo ID may sign an affidavit attesting that he or she is not in possession of photo identification.
- See also: State Poll Opening and Closing Times
- See also: Absentee voting
You are eligible to vote absentee in an election if you cannot make it to the polls on Election Day for one of the following reasons:
- You are 60 years old or older.
- You are unable to vote without assistance at the polls.
- You are expecting to be out of town on Election Day.
- You are in jail awaiting arraignment or trial.
- You are unable to attend the polls due to religious reasons.
- You are appointed to work as an election inspector in a precinct outside of your precinct of residence.
To vote absentee a request must be received by 2 p.m. on the Saturday before the election. The ballot must then be returned by 8 p.m. on Election Day.
Military and overseas voting
For full details regarding military and overseas voting, visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program.
- See also: Early voting
Michigan is one of 14 states that do not permit early voting.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Michigan + Voting "
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Elections in Michigan
- Michigan elections, 2016
- Michigan elections, 2015
- Michigan elections, 2014
- Michigan elections, 2013
- Michigan elections, 2012
- Michigan Secretary of State, "Registering to Vote," accessed June 10, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Michigan Secretary of State, "A Guide to Voter Identification at the Polls," accessed June 10, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "Frequently Asked Questions: Elections and Voting," accessed June 10, 2014
- Michigan Department of State Website, "What You Need to Know about Absentee Voting," accessed December 19, 2013
- Michigan Department of State Website, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed December 19, 2013
State of Michigan
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture and Rural Development | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor and Economic Growth | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
Michigan Supreme Court | Supreme Court Elections | Court of Appeals | First Circuit Court of Appeals | Second Circuit Court of Appeals | Third Circuit Court of Appeals | Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals | List of Michigan Circuit Courts | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |