Voting in Montana
Energy • Environment • Fracking • Public education • Higher education • School choice • Public pensions • State budget and finances • Taxes • Voting • Ballot access • Redistricting
|Election policy on Policypedia|
| State poll times (2015) |
| Voting in the 2015 primary elections |
| Voting in the 2015 general elections |
|Voter identification laws by state|
|Voting information by state|
- 1 Registration
- 2 Voting on Election Day
- 3 Absentee voting
- 4 Early voting
- 5 Recent news
- 6 See also
- 7 External links
- 8 References
For full information about voting in Montana, contact your state election agency.
To vote in Montana, you must meet the following requirements:
In addition, you cannot vote if:
—Montana Secretary of State
When and where
The deadline for regular registration is 28 days before the election. If you miss that deadline, you can still register and vote in the election by registering at your county election office. Late registration is available until the close of polls on Election Day. You can register to vote in the following ways:
—Montana Secretary of State
As of March 2015, Montana is one of 30 states that have not implemented full online voter registration.
Voting on Election Day
- See also: Voter identification laws by state
A voter is required to present identification prior to receiving a ballot. Valid identification includes photo and non-photo ID, including the following: a current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, voter confirmation notice, government check or other government document that shows the voter's name and current address.
- See also: State Poll Opening and Closing Times
- See also: Absentee voting
All voters are eligible to vote absentee in Montana. There are no special eligibility requirements for voting absentee.
To vote absentee, an absentee ballot application must be received by the county election office by noon the day prior to the election. A returned absentee ballot must then be received by the elections office before the close of polls on Election Day.
Military and overseas voting
For full details regarding military and overseas voting, visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program.
- See also: Early voting
Montana is one of 33 states (plus the District of Columbia) that permits some form of early voting. Early voting begins as soon as ballots are made available and ends on the day prior to Election Day.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Montana + Voting "
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Elections in Montana
- Montana elections, 2016
- Montana elections, 2015
- Montana elections, 2014
- Montana elections, 2013
- Montana elections, 2012
- Montana Secretary of State, "Montana Voter Information," accessed June 9, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Vote411.org, "Voting In Montana," accessed January 3, 2014
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013, through January 3, 2014, researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- Montana Secretary of State, "How to Vote by Absentee Ballot," accessed December 16, 2013
- Montana Secretary of State, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed December 16, 2013
State of Montana
List of Montana ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Director of the Department of Revenue | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Securities and Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources and Conservation | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Public Service Commission |