Voting in Rhode Island
Energy • Environment • Fracking • Public education • School choice • Higher education • Public pensions • State budget • Taxes • Voting • Ballot access • Redistricting
|Election policy on Policypedia|
| State poll times (2015) |
| Voting in the 2015 primary elections |
| Voting in the 2015 general elections |
|Voting information by state|
For full information about voting in Rhode Island, contact your state election agency.
To vote in Rhode Island, you must be:
—Rhode Island Secretary of State
When and where
The deadline to register to vote is at least 30 days prior to an election. You can register by mail or in person at the following locations:
- Your local registrar,
- The Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles,
- Any public assistance agency or program. or
- Any military recruiting office.
As of January 2015, Rhode Island is one of the 30 states that have not implemented full online voter registration.
Voting on Election Day
Photo identification is required at the polls. If a voter is unable to present photo ID, a provisional ballot may be cast that will be counted if the signature given matches the one on the voter registration.
- See also: State Poll Opening and Closing Times
Rhode Island is one of 21 states with a mixed primary system. Unaffiliated voters may vote in a party's primary, but they will then be considered affiliated with that party. In order to disaffiliate, they must file a "Change of Party Designation" form.
- See also: Absentee voting
All voters are eligible to vote absentee in Rhode Island. There are no special eligibility requirements for voting absentee.
Absentee ballot applications must be received by the county election office by 4 p.m. on the 21st day before the election. A returned absentee ballot must then be received by the elections office by 8 p.m. on Election Day.
Military and overseas voting
For full details regarding military and overseas voting, visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program.
- See also: Early voting
Rhode Island is one of 14 states that do not have any form of early voting.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Rhode + Island + Voting"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Elections in Rhode Island
- Rhode Island elections, 2016
- Rhode Island elections, 2015
- Rhode Island elections, 2014
- Rhode Island elections, 2013
- Rhode Island elections, 2012
- Rhode Island Secretary of State, "Register to Vote," accessed June 10, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Rhode Island Secretary of State, "Voter ID," accessed June 10, 2014
- Rhode Island Board of Elections, "General Election Polling Place Hours," accessed January 3, 2014
- Rhode Island Board of Elections Website, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed January 3, 2014
- Rhode Island Board of Elections, "Mail Ballot Overview," accessed December 16, 2013
- Rhode Island Board of Elections, "How do I apply for a Mail Ballot?" accessed December 16, 2013
- National Conference of State Legislatures "Absentee and Early Voting," accessed December 16, 2013
State of Rhode Island
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | General Treasurer | Auditor General | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Director of Environmental Management | Director of Labor | Chair of Public Utilities |