Walnut Creek School District parcel tax, Measure H (November 2009)
Measure H renewed the district's existing $82/year parcel tax. Voters originally approved this tax in 2005 with an expiration date of 2011. Measure H, however, has no expiration date, so when voters approved it, they were approving a permanent parcel tax.
The Walnut Creek School District has about 3,200 students. The parcel tax generates about $1.2 million/year in taxes for the district.
District officials were reported as having been "ecstatic" about the election results.
- These final, certified, election results are from the Contra Costa County election office.
- The editorial board of the "Contra Costa Times" endorsed Measure H. They wrote, "While we back the measures, which require approval of two-thirds of the voters, we do so with some reservations. Voters should be aware that they are being asked to indefinitely extend existing parcel taxes. The current taxes are due to expire in 2011. Measures G and H have no sunset provisions."
The question on the ballot:
|Measure H: "To provide the district with the stable, local funds needed to support high quality education programs, smaller class sizes, classroom technology, libraries and to attract and retain quality teachers, shall the Walnut Creek School District renew its existing special tax of $82 per year beginning July 1, 2010 offering a complete exemption for citizens 65 years and older?"|
- California 2009 local ballot measures
- Parcel tax elections in California
- Acalanes Union High School District parcel tax, Measure G (November 2009)
- Contra Costa Times, "Voters to decide on Neiman Marcus proposal for Broadway Plaza," September 16, 2009
- Pleasanton Weekly, "Voters approve 2 replacement parcel taxes with no expiration dates," November 4, 2009
- Mercury News, "Walnut Creek district eyes November ballot for parcel tax," July 29, 2009
- CBS 5, "Voters to decide whether to bring Neiman Marcus store to Broadway Plaza," October 23, 2009
- Contra Costa Times, "Voters approve Measure H parcel tax," November 3, 2009
- Contra Costa Times, "Editorial: Vote yes on Measures G and H in Acalanes and Walnut Creek school districts," October 7, 2009
- Contra Costa Times, "Recommendations for Tuesday's East Bay election," October 30, 2009
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.