|West Virginia Commissioner of Agriculture|
|Years in position||1|
|Predecessor||Gus Douglass (D)|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|West Virginia State Senate District 15|
|West Virginia House of Delegates|
|Pocahontas County Commission|
|Bachelor's||West Virginia University Institute of Technology, 1993|
|Birthday||April 25, 1944|
|Place of birth||Webster Springs, WV|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Political career
- 3 Elections
- 4 Campaign donors
- 5 Personal
- 6 Recent news
- 7 External links
- 8 References
Helmick was a Democratic member of the West Virginia State Senate. He represented District 15 from his appointment in 1990 to 2012. Previously, he served in the West Virginia House of Delegates from 1988 to 1989.
Helmick's political experience began with his membership on the Pocahontas County Board of Education from 1976 to 1978. He was also president/member of the Pocahontas County Commission from 1978 to 1989.
Helmick has worked as owner and operator of a small business and also as a school teacher. He was president of H and S Welding Supply from 1973 to 1987. He also was president of Allegheny Medical Equipment Company from 1983 to 1986. He then worked as vice-president for Quaill Hollow Mining Company from 1987 to 1988. From 1996 to 1997, Helmick was Executive Director of Pocahontas County Development Authority.
Helmick attended Marshall University. He graduated from Menderhall School of Auctioneering in 1991. He went on to earn his B.A. from West Virginia University Institute of Technology in 1993. He graduated from the University of Oklahoma Economic Development Institute in 1996.
West Virginia Commissioner of Agriculture (2013-present)
Helmick has served as West Virginia Commissioner of Agriculture since January 2013.
West Virginia State Senate (1990-2012)
Helmick represented District 15 in the West Virginia State Senate from 1990 to 2012.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Helmick served on these committees:
- Agriculture Committee, West Virginia State Senate
- Banking and Insurance Committee, West Virginia State Senate
- Council of Finance and Administration, West Virginia State Legislature, Chair
- Economic Development Committee, West Virginia State Senate
- Economic Development Committee, West Virginia State Legislature
- Energy, Industry and Mining Committee, West Virginia State Senate
- Finance Committee, West Virginia State Senate
- Finance Committee, West Virginia State Legislature
- Forest Management Review Commission, West Virginia State Legislature
- Government and Finance Committee, West Virginia State Legislature
- Government Operations Committee, West Virginia State Legislature
- Natural Resources Committee, West Virginia State Senate
- Special Investigations Committee, West Virginia State Legislature
- Water Resources Committee, West Virginia State Legislature
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Helmick served on these committees:
- Agriculture Committee, West Virginia Senate
- Banking and Insurance Committee, West Virginia Senate
- Economic Development Committee, West Virginia Senate
- Energy, Industry and Mining Committee, West Virginia Senate
- Finance Committee, West Virginia Senate
- Natural Resources Committee, West Virginia Senate
- Rules Committee, West Virginia Senate
West Virginia House of Delegates (1988-1989)
Helmick won election as West Virginia Commissioner of Agriculture. He defeated Sally Shepherd, Steve Miller, Bob Tabb and Joe Messineo in the Democratic primary on May 8. Helmick defeated Kent Leonhardt in the general election on November 6, 2012.
Incumbent Gus Douglass did not run for re-election.
|West Virginia Commissioner of Agriculture General Election, 2012|
|Election Results West Virginia Secretary of State Election Results Center.|
|Agriculture Commissioner of West Virginia Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Election Results Via:The West Virginia Secretary of State.|
Helmick received endorsements from:
- The Charleston Daily Mail
- Times West Virginian
- West Virginia Chamber of Commerce
- West Virginia Hospital Association
- West Virginia Manufacturers Association
- West Virginians for Life
In late-February 2011, Joe Starcher filed a suit against Helmick claiming that he failed to meet the requirement that a candidate for Agriculture Commissioner must have an agriculture business for at least ten years as his chief business.
Chapter 19, Article 1 of West Virginia Code stipulates the commissioner of agriculture "shall be a practical farmer, learned in the science of agriculture, and shall have made agriculture his chief business for a period of ten years immediately preceding his election."
Helmick claimed that he has a business that qualifies. The Charleston Gazette reported "According to his financial disclosure filed with the state Ethics Commission, Helmick's primary occupations are as state senator and owner of Allegheny Lodge LLC, a Pocahontas County company that produces bottled water and rents vacation cabins." On February 27, the state Supreme Court refused to hear Starcher's writ, saying it was premature and should be heard in circuit court first.
On March 1, a Kanawha County Circuit judge refused the petition, ruling Helmick could remain on the ballot.
Walt Helmick was re-elected to West Virginia State Senate, District 15. He defeated Democrat Thomas Ditty in the May 11 primary. He defeated Republican Greg Brown in the November 2, 2010, general election. 
|West Virginia State Senate, District 15 (2010) General Election|
|Walt Helmick (D)||19,192||57.01%|
|Jeremy Bauserman (R)||14,470||42.99%|
|West Virginia State Senate, District 15 Democratic Primary (2010)|
|Walt Helmick (D)||6,864||43.59%|
|Thomas Paul Ditty (D)||3,310||21.02%|
Helmick raised $111,431 for his campaign.
|West Virginia Senate, District 15 (2006)|
|Walt Helmick (D)||21,509|
Comprehensive donor information for Helmick is available dating back to 1998. Based on available campaign finance records, Helmick raised a total of $643,242 during that time period. This information was last updated on May 7, 2013.
Helmick won election to the position of West Virginia Agriculture Commissioner in 2012. During that election cycle, Helmick raised a total of $233,407.
|West Virginia Agriculture Commissioner 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Walt Helmick's campaign in 2012|
|Helmick for Senate||$29,399|
|Helmick for Senate 2010||$10,000|
|Brooks McCabe for Governor 2012||$2,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$233,407|
|Total Votes received in 2012||268,879|
|Cost of each vote received||$0.87|
|Source:Follow the Money|
In 2010, Helmick received $150,688 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|West Virginia State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Walt Helmick's campaign in 2010|
|West Virginia Realtors Association||$2,050|
|West Virginia Bankers Association||$2,000|
|West Virginia Chamber Of Commerce||$2,000|
|American Electric Power||$2,000|
|Contractors Association Of West Virginia||$2,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$150,688|
Helmick raised $111,431 for the 2006 election.
His major contributors are listed below.
|Contractors Association of West Virginia||$2,000|
|West Virginia Bankers Association||$1,500|
|West Virginia Federation of Teachers||$1,500|
Helmick and his wife Rita Fay Hedrick have four children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Walt + Helmick + West + Virginia + Agriculture"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website
- Biography from the West Virginia Legislature
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 1998
- Project Vote Smart - Sen. Helmick
- The Charleston Gazette, "Law clerk joins state Supreme Court race," January 25, 2012
- The Republic, "State Sen. Helmick wins 5-way Democratic race to become WV agriculture commissioner nominee," May 8, 2012
- West Virginia Secretary of State, "Election Results" accessed November 6, 2012
- Helmick for West Virginia, "Endorsements," accessed August 10, 2012
- '"West Virginia Code, accessed June 20, 2011
- The Republic, "W.Va. Supreme Court asked to knock lawmaker-candidate off ballot in race for agriculture chief" 2/24/2012
- Charleston Gazette, "Citizen files challenge to Helmick's ag commissioner candidacy," February 24, 2012
- Charleston Gazette, "State Supreme Court refuses to hear ag commissioner challenge," February 27, 2012
- The State Journal, "Kanawha court OK's Walt Helmick's run for agriculture commissioner," March 1, 2012
- West Virginia official list of 2010 candidates
- Official Primary Results SOS
- 2010 General Election results
- Official Returns for the 2006 Election, Office of the WV Secretary of State
- 2006 Follow the Money
- Follow the Money, " Career fundraising for Walt Helmick," accessed May 7, 2013
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Campaign contributors to Walt Helmick
|West Virginia State Senate District 15
| Succeeded by|
Donald H. Cookman (D)
Gus Douglass (D)
|West Virginia Commissioner of Agriculture
| Succeeded by|