Washington Civil Service for Sheriff's Employees, Initiative 23 (1958)
The Washington Civil Service for Sheriff's Employees Initiative, also known as Initiative 23, was on the November 4, 1958 ballot in Washington as an Initiative to the Legislature, where it was approved. The measure provided civil service status for certain employees of county sheriffs.
|Washington Initiative 23 (1958)|
Election results via: Washington Secretary of State
Text of measure
The language appeared on the ballot as:
|“||CIVIL SERVICE FOR SHERIFF'S EMPLOYEES
AN ACT providing civil service status for certain employees of the various county sheriffs; creating civil service commissions to administer the act; and setting forth their powers and duties; excepting certain employees therefrom; listing grounds for dismissal, censure or disciplining of employees within the act; forbidding sheriff's employees to engage in any political activity or to contribute to political funds; making county commissioners responsible for funds to administer the act; and providing penalties for violations thereof.
Path to the ballot
Signatures were filed to qualify the measure for the ballot to be sent to the legislature. When the legislature did not take action on the proposed legislation, the measure was placed on the ballot as provided by the state constitution.
- State of Washington ballot measure election results
- State of Washington 1958 Voters Pamphlet & Local Voters Pamphlet
- State of Washington Initiatives to the Legislature
- The Spokesman-Review, "Deputies Get New Status," November 27, 1958
- Office of the Secretary of State, "1958 Voters Pamphlet," accessed September 9, 2013
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Washington Secretary of State, "Initiatives to the Legislature," accessed September 9, 2013
State of Washington
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Commissioner of Public Lands | Director of Labor and Industries | Chairman of Utilities and Transportation |