A Liquor by the Drink With Restrictions Act, Initiative 171
ballot proposition was on the November 2, 1948 statewide ballot
in the State of Washington
as an Initiative to the People
, where it was approved.
Initiative 171, once it was enacted, became known as Chapter 5, Laws of 1949.
| Initiative 171|
| Yes|| 416,227|| 52.71%|
Path to the ballot
Initiative 171 was filed on January 19, 1948.
Title on the Ballot
An act providing for the regulation and control of the sale of intoxicating liquor by the drink; restricting licenses to restaurants, hotels, clubs, certain places on trains, boats and airplanes, and qualified tourist establishments; limiting such licenses to one for each fifteen hundred (1500) of population; prescribing license fees up to one thousand dollars ($1,000) per annum and surety bond of ten thousand dollars ($10,000) for payment of penalties; providing terms of office for liquor board members, with removal for cause only; distributing such license fees to the State College and University for medical and biological research; defining terms and repealing conflicting acts.
Alcohol on the Washington ballot
- Washington Beer and Wine Only Sold in State Liquor Stores, Initiative 13 (1948)
- Washington Beverage Container Deposit, Initiative 414 (1982)
- Washington Bone Dry Act, Referendum 10 (1918)
- Washington Brewer's Bill, Initiative 24 (1916)
- Washington Brewers' Hotel Bill, Initiative 1A (1916)
- Washington Implied Consent for Driver Intoxication Tests, Initiative 242 (1968)
- Washington Intoxicating Liquor Act, Initiative 61 (1932)
- Washington Liquor State Licensing, Initiative 1183 (2011)
- Washington Minimum Drinking Age Act, Referendum 36 (1973)
- Washington Privatization of Liquor Sales, Initiative 261 (1972)
- Washington Privatize Liquor Distribution, Initiative 1100 (2010)
- Washington Repeal of Sunday Blue Laws, Initiative 229 (1966)
- Washington Restriction of Television Advertising for Alcohol, Initiative 194 (1954)
- Washington Revise State Liquor Laws, Initiative 1105 (2010)
- Washington Spirituous Liquor Licenses for Taverns, Initiative 205 (1960)
- Washington Statewide Prohibition Act, Initiative 3 (1914)
Alcohol in 1948