Wenona Benally Baldenegro
|Wenona Benally Baldenegro|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|U.S. House, Arizona, District 1|
|Bachelor's||Arizona State University, 2000|
|Master's||Harvard University, 2006|
|J.D.||Harvard University, 2006|
was a 2012 Democratic
candidate seeking election to the U.S. House
representing the 1st Congressional District
Baldenegro's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Excerpt: "Rural Arizona is struggling to get back on its feet after feeling the impact of the recent nationwide recession. Wenona will put Arizona back to work and will get our economy back on track. Together, we must re-employ Arizonans, re-invest in our small business owners, and rebuild our rural infrastructure. Arizona needs leaders in Congress who will create jobs, not cut them."
- Excerpt: "Extreme spending cuts to public education in Arizona have hurt our children. Wenona will strive to increase access to early childhood education, make school funding equitable, increase support for our teachers, and build safe, modernized schools for our students. Wenona will end Congress’ obsession with relying solely on high-stakes testing to reward or penalize students and schools. She will work to incorporate other measures of achievement that create a balanced assessment and accountability system for our students and teachers."
- Healthcare and Retirement Security
- Excerpt: "Arizona’s working people, seniors, and middle-class families are concerned about rising healthcare costs and the lack of healthcare coverage. Wenona believes no one should ever go broke because they become ill. She will support continued efforts to expand access to affordable healthcare and establish patient protections for all Americans."
- Energy and the Environment
- Excerpt: "We deserve clean air to breathe and safe water to drink. We can have a cleaner environment while also building a stronger economy in Arizona. Wenona will work together with communities, environmental interests, and government to protect our natural resources while creating jobs that shift us toward a clean energy economy. Wenona supports lowering energy costs for American families and businesses, reducing our dependence on foreign oil, and reducing the carbon pollution causing climate change."
- Equal Rights and Civil Liberties
- Excerpt: "Our immigration system must reflect the fundamental American values of liberty, democracy and equal opportunity. A recent Arizona poll demonstrated that Arizona strongly supports comprehensive immigration reform for all. Wenona supports creating workable channels that will allow workers to fill available jobs, enhancing national security through identity and security checks in order to apprehend serious criminals, and cracking down on unfair labor practices."
- See also: Arizona's 1st congressional district elections, 2012
Baldenegro ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing Arizona's 1st District. She was defeated by Ann Kirkpatrick in the Democratic primary on August 28, 2012.
Candidates for Congress were required to file up to seven main reports with the Federal Election Commission during the 2012 elections season. Below are Baldenegro's reports.
|Wenona Benally Baldenegro (2012) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|April Quarterly||April 13, 2012||$6,430.73||$24,694.23||$(29,782.32)||$1,342.64|
|July Quarterly||July 13, 2012||$6,430.73||$18,427.54||$(16,859.99)||$7,998.28|