|Colorado House of Representatives District 64|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Term limits||Four consecutive terms|
McKinley is an author and rancher.
McKinley did not provide answers to the Colorado State Legislative Election 2008 Political Courage Test. The test informs voters how a candidate would vote on the issues if elected.
In 2010 McKinley was the top ranking Democrat with the Colorado Union of Taxpayers, a conservative tax watchdog organization.
Kevin J. Grantham and McKinley say Colorado backed out of deals it made with some landowners on much-debated conservation easements. In December 2010, McKinley started taking steps that he says will make the state keep its end of the bargain.
“If they make the deal, they should honor the deal they made,” said Rep. McKinley.
The deals are conservation easements granted on property by a landowner to limit or prevent future commercial or residential development on the land. In exchange, the Colorado government grants the landowner–typically a farmer or rancher–a tax credit based on the land’s value.
More recently, the state has called into question the value of some conservation easements and has not been honoring the tax credits, McKinley maintains.
“They’ve been demanding interest, fees and penalties on easements that they now say they won’t be honoring,” he sad. “The state is saying that the lands were overvalued.”
McKinley's sponsored legislation includes:
- HB 09-1253 - Defendants With Mental Illnes
- HB 09-1288 - Colorado Taxpayer Transparency Act
- HB 09-1317 - No State Lands To Expand Pinon Canyon
- HB 10-1160 - Perpetual Conservation Easement for which Tax Credit is Claimed 
For details and a full listing of sponsored bills, see the House site.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, McKinley served on these committees:
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, McKinley served on these committees:
- Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Agriculture, Livestock, & Natural Resources Committee
- Local Government
- Local Government Committee
In May 2010, a Colorado news website reported that a lobbyist had filed a sexual-harassment complaint against McKinley with House leadership over a 2007 incident in Denver. The website reported in September 2010 that the complaint had been resolved, with House Speaker Terrance Carroll, D-Denver, sending McKinley a confidential letter ordering him to complete private sexual-harassment classes after an independent investigator found the lobbyist's allegations "credible." Citing confidentiality rules governing sexual-harassment complaints in the General Assembly, Carroll has declined to confirm or deny the letter of admonition.
McKinley was unable to seek re-election in 2012 due to term limits.
McKinley ran for re-election to the 64th District seat in 2010. He had no opposition in the August 10 primary. He defeated Lisa Grace Kellogg (R) in the November 2 general election.
|Colorado House of Representatives, District 64 General election (2010)|
|Wesley McKinley (D)||11,144|
|Lisa Grace Kellogg (R)||10,542|
McKinley raised $39,105 for his campaign, while Torres raised $11,319.
|Colorado State House, District 64 (2008)|
|Wesley McKinley (D)||15,514|
|Ken Torres (R)||10,863|
In 2010, McKinley raised $27,745 in contributions.
His four largest contributors were:
|Colorado Education Association||$4,250|
|Colorado Rural Electric Association||$2,525|
|Copic Insurance Small Donor Committee||$2,000|
|Service Employees International Local 105||$1,000|
Below are McKinley's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|CO Education Assoc||$4,250|
|Food & Commercial Workers Local 7||$4,250|
|CO Professional Fire Fighters||$4,000|
|CO Democratic Party House Majority Project||$2,000|
|Sheet Metal Workers Local 9||$1,000|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Wesley + McKinley + Colorado + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Wesley McKinley's personal website
- Colorado House of Representatives - Rep. Edward Vigil
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2010, 2008, 2002
- Wesley McKinley on Facebook
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. McKinley
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. McKinley Issue Positions
- Colorado News Agency, "GOP lawmakers top groups annual taxpayer-friendly score-card again" August 3, 2010
- "State should ‘honor the deal’ on land easements, lawmaker says," Colorado News Agency, Dec 30th, 2010
- Colorado News Agency, "Conservation Easements Create Buyer's Remorse for the State," March 16, 2010
- Colorado Secretary of State, "2008 General election results," accessed April 14, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Funds raised by 2008 House candidates," accessed April 14, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign contributions
|Colorado House District 64
| Succeeded by|
Timothy Dore (R)