West Bend School District, Wisconsin
|West Bend School District|
|West Bend, Wisconsin|
|Number of schools:||11|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Randy Marquardt|
|Board members:||7 at-large members|
|Term length:||3 years|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in West Bend School District
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Issues
- 9 Contact information
- 10 See also
- 11 External links
- 12 References
About the district
West Bend School District is located in Washington County, Wisconsin. The county seat of Washington County is West Bend. Washington County was home to 132,739 residents in 2013, according to the United States Census Bureau.
Higher education achievement
Washington County outperformed the rest of Wisconsin in terms of higher education achievement in 2013. The United States Census Bureau found that 27.6 percent of Washington County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.8 percent for Wisconsin as a whole.
Median household income
Between 2009 to 2013, the median household income in Washington County was $66,159. During that same time period, the median household income for the entire state was $52,413.
The poverty rate in Washington County was 6.3 percent from 2009 to 2013. The poverty rate for Wisconsin during that time was 13.0 percent.
Racial and political demographics
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
Ted Neitzke is the superintendent of the West Bend School District. He has served in this position since July 2011. He started working for the district in 2004 as a middle school principal. In 2009 he took on the position of assistant superintendent and served for two years before becoming superintendent.
|West Bend Board of Education|
|Member||Assumed office||Term Ends|
|Karen J. Betz||2013||2016|
School board elections
Members of the West Bend Board of Education are elected at-large to three-year terms on a staggered basis each year. Three seats were up for election in 2014, two seats are up for election in 2015, and two seats are up for election in 2016.
Public participation in board meetings
The West Bend Board of Education does not maintain a policy on public testimony during board meetings on their website.
Details on the district's budget in recent years can be found in the table below. The following chart shows the percentages of expenditures by type for the 2014-2015 school year.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
The average teaching salary in the West Bend School District is $46,131.
Schools in West Bend School District
West Bend School District served 7,008 students during the 2013-2014 school year. Enrollment in the district increased by 0.3 percent from 2009 to 2013.
|Year||Enrollment||Year-to-year change (%)|
West Bend School District operates 11 schools, which are listed below in alphabetical order:
|West Bend School District|
|Badger Middle School|
|Decorah Elementary School|
|East High School|
|Fair Park Elementary School|
|Green Tree Elementary School|
|Jackson Elementary School|
|McLane Elementary School|
|Pathways Charter School|
|Rolfs Education Center|
|Silverbrook Intermediate School|
|West High School|
- See also: Public education in Wisconsin
The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction administers annual Wisconsin Student Assessment System (WSAS) tests to students throughout the state. These tests assess proficiency in math and reading among students in grades three through eight as well as 10th grade. WSAS tests also evaluate proficiency in language arts, science and social studies at grades four, eight and 10. The Department of Public Instruction publishes results from WSAS tests as part of each district's Annual District Report Card.
The Annual District Report Card compares district performance with state performance based on four criteria:
- Student Achievement: This category compares reading and math performance by district students to state and national standards.
- Student Growth: This category compares year-to-year performance on reading and math sections in WSAS tests.
- Closing Gaps: This category compares test performance by low-performing groups in the district to similar cohorts across the state.
- On-Track and Postsecondary Readiness: This category uses benchmarks including ACT scores, graduation rate, attendance rate and math achievement to assess post-graduate preparedness.
West Bend School District achieved an overall score of 71.2 during the 2013-2014 school year. The district's overall score led to a "Meets Expectations" designation from the Department of Public Instruction. The following tables compare district performance with state performance and detail the accountability ratings for schools in the district, according to the 2013-2014 Annual District Report Card:
The state's Annual District Report Card includes a review of district and state proficiency information in mathematics and reading for the previous five years. This review includes data from the Wisconsin Knowledge and Concepts Examination (WKCE) and the Wisconsin Alternate Assessment for Students with Disabilities (WAA-SwD) for students from grades three through eight and 10. The following tables compare the district's percentage of proficient and advanced proficient students with state levels from the 2009-2010 school year through the 2013-2014 school year:
Student protest leads to one arrest and multiple misdemeanor charges
On November 20, 2014, administrators sat down with students from West Bend East and West Bend West high schools to discuss a new hall pass procedure. What started out as a peaceful meeting turned ugly when one student stood up on a lunch table and started "speaking his mind and swearing," according to one student at the meeting. When administrators tried to pull him off the table, a fight began. The student was arrested by police, but dozens of others started tearing through the halls, ripping down posters, flooding sinks and pushing furniture. Fifteen more police officers arrived to help contain the students, and the school went on soft lockdown until things settled down. No student or staff member was injured during the protest.
The student protest led to 75 students receiving three-day suspensions from the school district. After reviewing video of the incident and interviewing administrators, staff and 137 students, the police then charged 23 of them with disorderly conduct, which is a criminal misdemeanor. Another 23 students were issued municipal citations for disorderly conduct. The misdemeanors are punishable by up to 90 days in jail and/or a fine of up to $1,000, and the municipal citations range from $376 to $439, depending on the age of the student.
- Wisconsin school districts
- List of school districts in Wisconsin
- West Bend School District elections (2015)
- Public education in Wisconsin
- School board elections portal
- West Bend School District
- West Bend, Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction
- Wisconsin Association of School Boards
- Wisconsin Information System for Education, "HS Completion (Single Year): West Bend," accessed January 16, 2015
- Wisconsin Information System for Education, "Enrollment (Single Year): West Bend," accessed January 16, 2015
- United States Census Bureau, "Washington County, Wisconsin," accessed January 16, 2015
- Washington County Clerk's Office, "Election Results," accessed January 16, 2015
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, "West Bend board promotes assistant superintendent," May 13, 2011
- West Bend School District, "WBSD School Board," accessed January 16, 2015
- West Bend School District, "Board Members," accessed January 16, 2015
- West Bend School District, "2014-2015 WBSD BUDGET, Presentation to Board of Education," accessed January 16, 2015
- Teacher Salary Info, "Average Teacher Salary in West Bend School District," accessed January 16, 2015
- West Bend School District, "School List," accessed January 16, 2015
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, "Report Cards," accessed February 5, 2014
- Fox 6, "'It was actually scary:' One arrested after West Bend students become unruly over new," November 20, 2014
- Fox 6, "'There’s anxiety:' West Bend students suspended over protest that turned ugly," November 21, 2014
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, "Police take action against 46 students in West Bend high school dust-up," December 5, 2014
State of Wisconsin
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection| Secretary of Natural Resources | Secretary of Workforce Development | Public Service Commission |