West Virginia Director of Natural Resources
|West Virginia Director of Natural Resources|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$17,513,566|
|Length of term:||Serves at the pleasure of the Govenor|
|Authority:||West Virginia State Code, Chapter 20, Article 1, Section 3|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Name:||Robert A. Fala|
|Assumed office:||January 1, 2015|
|Other West Virginia Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education• Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner• Natural Resources Commissioner • Secretary of Commerce • Commissioner of Labor • Public Service Commission|
- 1 Current officeholder
- 2 Authority
- 3 Qualifications
- 4 Appointments
- 5 Vacancies
- 6 Duties
- 7 Divisions
- 8 State budget
- 9 Compensation
- 10 Historical officeholders
- 11 Recent news
- 12 Contact information
- 13 See also
- 14 External links
- 15 References
The director's authority is established by Chapter 20, Article 1 of the West Virginia state code:
Chapter 20, Article 1, Section 3:
|A division of natural resources, the office of director of the division of natural resources and a natural resources commission are hereby created and established in the state government with jurisdiction, powers, functions, services and enforcement processes as provided in this chapter and elsewhere by law.|
... At the time of his initial appointment, he shall be at least thirty years old and shall be selected with special reference and consideration given to his training, experience, capacity and interest in the natural resources program as herein embraced. He shall not be a candidate for or hold any other public office, shall not be a member of any political party committee, and shall immediately forfeit and vacate his office as director in the event he becomes a candidate for or accepts appointment to any other public office or political party committee.
- at least 30 years old
- trained, experienced and interested in the natural resources program
- not a candidate for or officeholder of any other public office
- not a member of any political party committee
The director of natural resources is appointed by the governor, with consent of the state senate, to a four-year term, and may be removed from office by the governor under certain conditions outlined in Article VII, Section 9 of the state constitution:
| Text of Section 10:
Governor's Power of Removal
The governor shall have power to remove any officer whom he may appoint in case of incompetency, neglect of duty, gross immorality, or malfeasance in office; and he may declare his office vacant and fill the same as herein provided in other cases of vacancy.
The director serves at the pleasure of the governor, and is not subject to term limits.
If the director leaves office for any reason, the governor may, with the consent of the state senate, appoint a new director. In the event that the office becomes vacant during the recess of the senate, the governor's appointment fills the vacancy until they can be confirmed by the senate.
- See Energy policy in West Virginia for information on the state's energy portfolio and goals.
The director of natural resources oversees a comprehensive program for the exploration, conservation, development, protection, enjoyment and use of the state's natural resources. The primary duties of the department are:
- conserve and manage wildlife for intrinsic, recreational, and economic benefits
- promote conservation by preserving natural areas of exceptional scenic, scientific, cultural, archaeological, or historic significance
- provide outdoor recreation
- promote travel and tourism
Chapter 20, Article 1, Section 7 of the West Virginia Code outlines, in great detail, the duties of the office.
The Division of Natural Resources
- The Administration section provides payroll, financial, budgeting, staffing, information technology, and business services to the Division of Natural Resources.
Hunting and Fishing
Land and Streams
- The office of Lands and Streams is responsible for preserving, protecting, and enhancing West Virginia's title to its recreation lands for today's citizens, visitor users, and future generations.
|Contact Law Enforcement Section|
Parks and Recreation
- The mission of the Parks and Recreation section is "to promote conservation by preserving and protecting natural areas of unique or exceptional scenic, scientific, cultural, archaeological, or historical significance and to provide outdoor recreational opportunities for the citizens of this state and its visitors."
- The Wildlife Resources section of the office is charged with protecting threatened and endangered species, non-game wildlife, and their habitats.
- See also: West Virginia state budget and finances
The budget for the Division of Natural Resources in Fiscal Year 2013 was $17,513,566.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Chapter 20, Article 20-1 of the West Virginia Code defines the method by which the director of natural resources' compensation is set:
|The director shall receive an annual salary as provided in section two-a, article seven, chapter six of this code, payable in equal monthly installments and shall be allowed and paid necessary expenses incident to the performance of his or her official duties.|
Chapter 6, Article 7, Section 2a, sets the salary of the sets the annual salary of each named appointive state officer, with the Director of the Division of Natural Resources earning $75,000.
In 2013, the director's salary remained at $75,000.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the West Virginia Director of Natural Resources has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term West Virginia + Director + Natural Resources
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
324 Fourth Avenue
South Charleston, WV 25303
- Office of the Governor, "Governor Tomblin Appoints Fala Director of West Virginia DNR," December 31, 2014
- West Virginia State Legislature, "West Virginia state code," May 24, 2011
- West Virginia Legislature, "Article VII, West Virginia Constitution," accessed February 2, 2015
- West Virginia Encyclopedia.org, "Division of natural resources," June 7, 2011
- West Virginia Division of Natural Resources, "Office of the executive secretary," May 24, 2011
- West Virginia Division of Natural Resources, "Office of land and streams," May 24, 2011
- '"West Virginia Division of Natural Resources, "Law enforcement section," May 24, 2011
- '"West Virginia State Parks and Forests, May 24, 2011
- West Virginia Division of Natural Resources, "Wildlife diversity program and natural program heritage," May 24, 2011
- West Virginia State Budget Office, "Legislature's Enrolled FY 2013 Budget Bill," accessed April 3, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," accessed December 8, 2014
- Council of State Governments, Table 4.11 Selected State Administrative Officials: Annual Salaries," accessed January 31, 2014