|Georgia State Senate District 3|
|January 11, 2011 - Present|
|January 12, 2015|
|Years in position||2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
|Municipal Court Judge, City of Brunswick|
|1997 - 2009|
|Bachelor's||Valdosta State College|
Ligon is the senior partner at the firm of Ligon, Middleton and Lindberg, P.C., and served as municipal court judge for the city of Brunswick from 1997 to 2009. He received his B.S. from Valdosta State College and his J.D. from Mercer University School of Law.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Ligon served on the following committees:
|Georgia Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• State and Local Governmental Operations, Chair|
|• Judiciary Non-Civil, Vice Chair|
|• Health and Human Services|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Ligon served on the following committees:
|Georgia Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Education and Youth, Vice Chair|
|• Health and Human Services|
|• Public Safety|
- See also: Georgia State Senate elections, 2012
Ligon ran in the 2012 election for Georgia State Senate District 3. Ligon ran unopposed in the Republican primary on July 31, 2012. No Democratic candidate filed to run for this seat. The general election took place on November 6, 2012. Ligon won re-election in the general election.
|Georgia State Senate, District 3, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||William Ligon, Jr. Incumbent||100%||50,088|
- See also: Georgia State Senate elections, 2010
| Georgia State Senate, District 3 |
2010 General election results
|William Ligon (R)||29,434||71.0%|
|Griffin Lotson (D)||12,006||29.0%|
Ligon defeated Terry Carter in the July 20 primary.
|Georgia State Senate, District 3 - Republican Primary (2010)|
On his campaign website, Ligon lists seven issues he is concerned about. They are:
- Excerpt: "William Ligon believes government should remove bureaucratic barriers to free enterprise."
- Property Rights
- Excerpt: "For William Ligon, protecting private property is fundamental to justice."
- Justice for All
- Excerpt: "government's core mission is public safety."
- Family Values
- Excerpt: "William Ligon believes in the sanctity of marriage between one man and one woman."
- Our Resources
- Excerpt: "William Ligon will work to preserve our natural assets for future generations."
- Our Freedoms
- Excerpt: "William knows that defending our constitutional liberties requires courage."
- Our Children
- Excerpt: "William Ligon believes the next generation should understand the founding principles of the nation."
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
In 2010, when Ligon was first elected, he received $189,035 in donations.
His largest contributors were:
|William Ligon, Jr.||$35,000|
|Hi-Tech Jetting Technologies, Inc.||$4,800|
|Georgia Dental Association||$3,250|
Senators Ligon and Barry Loudermilk were charged with discrimination against a former employee. Democrats say that an $80,000 payment was issued this summer to settle the case secretly and have called for the resignation of the two senators.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term William + Ligon + Georgia + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Sen. William Ligon: Op Ed: Educational Accountability Should Be Local, Not ... - Peach Pundit
- Opposing Common Core: Education decisions best made locally - Atlanta Journal Constitution (blog)
- Gov. Deal signs order addressing Common Core standards - Online Athens
- Ligon: Common Core sacrifices sovereignty - Online Athens
- Politicians damage Georgia education - Columbia County News Times
- More Radicals for Common Core: The Pro-Amnesty Contingent - Town Hall
- State school chief will dive into Cobb's common core debate - Marietta Daily Journal
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Ligon and his wife Kim have five children.
- William Ligon campaign website
- Georgia State Senate - William Ligon
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- William Ligon on Facebook
- ↑ Georgia Secretary of State Elections Division "Candidate List" Accessed May 29, 2012
- ↑ Georgia Secretary of State, Official 2012 Primary Results
- ↑ Georgia Elections Division "2012 Election Results" Accessed November 16, 2012
- ↑ Georgia Secretary of State - 2010 Election results
- ↑ Georgia Secretary of State, "Official Results of the Tuesday, July 20, 2010 General Primary Election"
- ↑ William Ligon campaign website, "Issues"
- ↑ Follow the Money, "2010 Contributions to William Ligon," accessed July 7, 2011.
- ↑ 11alive.com "Democrats demand resignation of state senators implicated in discrimination case", September 28, 2011
|Georgia Senate District 3
| Succeeded by|