Wisconsin Partial Veto, Question 1 (2008)
Wisconsin Partial Veto, Question 1, also known as Prohibit Partial Veto Authority, was a legislatively-referred constitutional amendment on the April 1, 2008 ballot in Wisconsin, where it was approved.
The measure addressed what had been commonly known in Wisconsin as the Frankenstein Veto, which was the power the Governor of Wisconsin had to veto individual words and numbers on appropriations bills, and create new sentences from the words remaining. Wisconsin was, prior to the successful passage of this ballot measure, singular in allowing "the veto of numbers and letters to create new sentences and new dollar amounts."
|Wisconsin Question 1 (2008)|
Official results via: The Wisconsin Blue Book 2009-10
Text of Measure
The question as it appeared on the ballot was:
This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
|“||Partial veto. Shall section 10 (1) (c) of article V of the constitution be amended to prohibit the governor, in exercising his or her partial veto authority, from creating a new sentence by combining parts of two or more sentences of the enrolled bill?||”|
Article V, Section 10 (1) (c). In approving an appropriation bill in part, the governor may not create a new word by rejecting individual letters in the words of the enrolled bill, and may not create a new sentence by combining parts of 2 or more sentences of the enrolled bill.
Path to the ballot
- First Legislative Approval: SJR 33 & JR 46 (2005)
- Second Legislative Approval: SJR 5& JR 26 (2007)
- List of Wisconsin ballot measures
- Wisconsin 2008 ballot measures
- 2008 ballot measures
- Wisconsin Governor Partial Veto Authority Amendment, Question 1 (April 1990)
- Election Results in The Wisconsin Blue Book 2009-10
- Frequently Asked Questions: The Veto Amendment
- Wis. Voters in April Could Curb Governor's Veto Power
- Sample ballot (Clark County)
- Vote ‘yes’ to limit governor’s ‘Frankenstein Veto’ power, LaCrosse Tribune, March 8, 2008
- The Wisconsin Blue Book 2009-10, P.892-893
- Wisconsin Blue Book 2011 - 2012
State of Wisconsin
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection| Secretary of Natural Resources | Secretary of Workforce Development | Public Service Commission |
Wisconsin Supreme Court | Courts of Appeal | Circuit Courts | Municipal Courts | Wisconsin Commission Appointed Judicial Method Proposal | Wisconsin Judicial Commission | Wisconsin Supreme Court elections | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |