Wisconsin State Assembly District 55
|Wisconsin State Assembly District 55|
|Current incumbent||Dean Kaufert|
|Voting age||76.3% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 54,157 civilians reside within Wisconsin's fifty-fifth state assembly district. Members of the Wisconsin State Assembly represent an average of 57,444 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 54,179 residents.
About the office
Section 6 of Article 4 of the Wisconsin Constitution states, "No person shall be eligible to the legislature who shall not have resided one year within the state, and be a qualified elector in the district which he may be chosen to represent."
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Wisconsin Legislature are paid $49,943/year. Legislators receive a maximum of $88/day per diem, set by the compensation commission. Based on the maximum, the leadership of each house determines what amount to authorize for each session.
In the event of a vacancy in the assembly, the Governor must call for a special election when allowed by law. Special elections to fill legislative vacancies cannot be held after February 1st preceding a spring election or September 1st preceding a fall election. If the vacancy happens before May 15th, the Governor must fill the vacancy as soon as possible.
- See also: Wisconsin State Assembly elections, 2014
Elections for all 99 seats in the Wisconsin State Assembly took place in 2014. A primary election took place on August 12, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 2, 2014. Mark Westphal was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Mike Rohrkaste defeated John R. Lehman, Ryan Pheifer, Steven Gillespie and Jay Schroeder in the Republican primary. Westphal faced Rohrkaste in the general election. Jarrod Kuehn (R), Ryan Rothenbach (R) and Rich Martin (L) were removed from the ballot. Republican Rohrkaste defeated Westphal in the general election, and was elected to the seat.
|Wisconsin State Assembly, District 55 Republican Primary, 2014|
|John R. Lehman||9.6%||440|
- See also: Wisconsin State Assembly elections, 2012
Elections for the office of Wisconsin State Assembly consisted of a primary election on August 14, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. Republican incumbent Dean Kaufert defeated Democrat Jim Crail and Libertarian candidate Rich Martin in the general election. Kaufert defeated Jay Schroeder in the Democratic primary election. Crail was unopposed in the Republican primary election.
|Wisconsin State Assembly, District 55, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Dean Kaufert Incumbent||63%||19,142|
|Wisconsin State Assembly, District 55 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Dean Kaufert Incumbent||65%||4,612|
Since 2000, candidates for Wisconsin State Assembly District 55 have raised a total of $336,041. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $30,549 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Wisconsin State Assembly District 55|
- Public Mapping Project, Wisconsin 2010 Census Selected Statistics, accessed November 23, 2013
- U.S. Census Bureau, "2010 Census Interactive Population Search," accessed February 14, 2014
- U.S. Census Bureau, "States Ranked by Population," April 2, 2001. Accessed February 13, 2014
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Wisconsin Legislature, "Wisconsin Election Law," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 17.19 (1), Wisconsin Statutes)
- Wisconsin Legislature, "Wisconsin Election Law," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 8.50, Wisconsin Statutes)
- Wisconsin Legislature, "Wisconsin Election Law," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 8.50(4)-(d), Wisconsin Statutes)
- Wisconsin Government Accountability, "Candidates Registered by Office," June 11, 2014
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Partisan Primary," accessed June 4, 2014 (dead link)
- Madison.com, "Election Results: Wisconsin Legislature," accessed November 5, 2014
- State of Wisconsin, G.A.B. Canvass Reporting System, accessed November 23, 2013
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Official 2012 primary results," accessed November 23, 2013
State of Wisconsin
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection| Secretary of Natural Resources | Secretary of Workforce Development | Public Service Commission |
Wisconsin Supreme Court | Courts of Appeal | Circuit Courts | Municipal Courts | Wisconsin Commission Appointed Judicial Method Proposal | Wisconsin Judicial Commission | Wisconsin Supreme Court elections | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |