Wisconsin State Superintendent Amendment, Question 1 (1888)
- This amendment sought to modify Article X, Section 1 of the Wisconsin Constitution to provide for a state superintendent of education, with qualifications and salary designated by law.
Official results via: Wisconsin Blue Book 2011 - 2012
Text of measure
The language that appeared on the ballot:
"For the amendment to section 1, of article 10, of the constitution...☐
Against the amendment to section 1, of article 10, of the constitution...☐"
Resolved by the Assembly, the Senate concurring, That section 1, of Article 10, of the constitution of the state of Wisconsin, be amended so as to read as follows: Section 1. The supervision of common schools shall be vested in a state superintendent and such other officers as the legislature shall direct. The legislature may prescribe by law the qualifications of the state superintendent, and all other officers intrusted with the supervision of common schools. The state superintendent and such other officers intrusted with the supervision of common schools, shall be chosen by the qualified electors of the state, or respective district, at such time and in such manner as the legislature shall provide. The powers, duties and compensation of all such officers shall be provided for by law.
Path to the ballot
- First Legislative Approval: AJR 16 & JR 34 (1885)
- Second Legislative Approval: AJR 2 & JR 4 (1887)
- Submission to the People: Ch.357 (1887)
- The Wisconsin Blue Book 1889 (p.261)