Wisconsin to hold three special elections
The special elections come as several potential recall elections take shape around the state, targeting both Republican and Democratic state senators. While the recalls focus on state senators, Tuesday's elections concern seats in the Wisconsin State Assembly. Each of the three vacant seats were formerly held by a Republican. All of the vacating members were either unopposed or dominant winners in the 2010 general election. The closest margin of victory was in District 94, where outgoing senator Michael Huebsch (R) won by 18% in 2010.
The three special elections are as follows:
- Wisconsin Assembly District 60: Mark Gottlieb (R) resigned to serve as Transportation Secretary. Republican candidate Duey Stroebel will face Rick Aaron (D) in the May 3 special election. Stroebel is the owner of a real estate business and a member of the Cedarburg Chamber of Commerce. Aaron is a professional musician and former public school teacher who served in the Army Reserves and National Guard.
- Wisconsin Assembly District 83: Scott Gunderson (R) resigned to serve as the executive assistant in the Department of Natural Resources. Dave Craig (R) faces James Brownlow (D) in the special election. Craig is a congressional aide to Congressman Paul Ryan (R). Brownlow is a retired public school librarian and volunteer tax preparer for the elder and indigent.
- Wisconsin Assembly District 94: Mike Huebsch (R) resigned to serve as Secretary of the Department of Administration for Governor Scott Walker (R). Democrat Steve Doyle will face Republican John Lautz. Doyle is an attorney and 25-year member of the La Crosse County Board. Lautz is an entrepreneur and the owner of Lautz Custom Builders. Lautz also served in the US Navy.
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Governor Orders Special Elections for Three Assembly Seats," February 23, 2011
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, Official Election Results," accessed April 26, 2011
- WKBT "3 Wis. lawmakers bid adieu to take jobs with gov," January 3, 2011
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, "Stroebel, Aaron advance in 60th Assembly race," April 6, 2011
- Duey Stroebel for 60th Assembly District, accessed April 26, 2011
- Aaron for Assembly, "Biography," accessed April 26, 2011 (timed out)
- The Journal Times, "Two candidates running for Rep. Gunderson’s seat - May 3 election," March 29, 2011
- Dave Craig, Republican for Assembly, "About Dave," accessed April 26, 2011
- Brownlow for Assembly, "A Career of Helping," accessed April 26, 2011
- LaCrosse Tribune, "It's Lautz versus Doyle in 94th Assembly," April 6, 2011
- Doyle for Assembly, "Bio," accessed April 26, 2011
- Lautz for Assembly, Facebook page," accessed April 26, 2011