York County, Virginia
It is located on the north side of the Virginia Peninsula in the Hampton Roads metropolitan area. Situated on the York River and many tributaries, the county seat is the unincorporated town of Yorktown. The county shares land borders with the independent cities of Williamsburg, Newport News and Poquoson, as well as James City County, and shares it border along the York River with Gloucester County.
Formed in 1634 as one of the eight original shires (counties) of the Virginia Colony, York County is one of the oldest counties in the U.S. Yorktown is one of the three points of the Historic Triangle of Colonial Virginia, and the location where victory was accomplished in 1781 at the conclusion of the American Revolutionary War to gain independence from Great Britain.
In modern times, the county is home to several important U.S. military installations. There are many miles of waterfront residential and recreational areas. York County adjoins Busch Gardens theme park and includes within its borders the affiliated Water Country USA water park, Riverwalk Landing at the Yorktown waterfront area, Yorktown Battlefield and Visitor Center and Yorktown Victory Center. Yorktown is linked by the National Park Service's bucolic Colonial Parkway with Colonial Williamsburg and the Historic Jamestowne and Jamestown Settlement attractions at Jamestown, Virginia, all helping make worldwide tourism to the Historic Triangle a major economic activity for the county.
Board of Supervisors
The York County Board of Supervisors is comprised of five York County citizens, one each from the five election districts. Supervisors serve four-year terms with the Chairman and Vice Chairman elected to serve for one year. The Terms of Office for the current Board Members end December 31, 2012.
The County Administrator, James O. McReynolds, C.P.A., is the Chief Administrative Officer of the County. He is appointed by the Board of Supervisors, and is responsible for the execution of policies established by the Board. He is the administrative leader of the county, and is responsible for strategic planning and implementation of county programs and services. Mr. McReynolds also represents the county in a variety of forums and on several regional committees and boards. The County Administrator is supported by the following divisions:
- Office of Economic Development - tasked with addressing the needs of our existing businesses as well as attracting new business and industry to the County. Our staff is available to assist any new or existing York County company with their business needs. All services are provided at no charge.
- Legislative and Administrative Services Services - supports the County Administrator and the Board of Supervisors in providing information and materials to the Board for their action and to the public regarding the actions taken by the Board.
- Planning Division - responsible for the development, maintenance and implementation of the Comprehensive Plan, which provides the overall blueprint for the long-term development of the County. The office also processes applications for rezonings and use permits.
- Public Information Office- provides information to the press; assists citizens in contacting government offices or agencies; provides information on local government meetings and activities; provides information to the local cable channel; serves as County Communications Coordinator; and coordinates media relations.
- Real Estate Assessment - responsible for the reassessment of all real estate within the County of York. Every two years a general reassessment of all real property within the county is conducted. Property information is continually updated and new values assigned. The effective date of each reassessment is January 1st of each even numbered year.
This website was most recently reviewed on January 8, 2014.
- See also: Evaluation of Virginia county websites'
- The most current budget is listed.
- Budgets are archived for 6 years.
- Administrative Officials
- Department heads are listed for each department.
- Contact information for administrative officials is provided including a mailing address, phone number, and personalized email.
- Elected Officials
- Elected officials are listed with a mailing address, phone number and personalized email.
- The most recent audit is posted.
- Audits dating back to 2007 are available.
- Bids and RFPs are posted online.
- Approved contract statements are provided for vendors.
- Public Records
- The public information officer is identified and maintained by the Public Information Officer. This person provides a mailing address, phone number and personalized email.
- Permits and zoning
2013 Adopted Budget
- Population Estimates Retrieved
- US Census, "ACS 2010 Figures"
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- County Administrator
- York County, Budgets, Accessed: March 5, 2013
- York County, Staff Directory, Accessed: March 5, 2013
- York County, Elected Officials, Accessed: March 5, 2013
- York County, Meeting Minutes, Accessed: March 5, 2013
- York County, Meeting Agendas, Accessed: March 5, 2013
- York County, Meeting Calendar, Accessed: March 5, 2013
- York County, Audits, Accessed: March 5, 2013
- York County, Bids and Contracts, Accessed: March 5, 2013
- York County, Freedom of Information Act Requests, Accessed: March 5, 2013
- York County, Commissioner of Revenue, Accessed: March 5, 2013
- York County, Pay Taxes, Accessed: March 5, 2013
- York County, "Transparency," accessed January 8, 2014
- York County, Zoning, Accessed: March 5, 2013
- York County, Building Permits, Accessed: March 5, 2013
State of Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chairman of State Corporation Commission |