Yvette McGee Brown
|Yvette McGee Brown|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Current Court Information:|
|Ohio Supreme Court|
|Appointed by:||Gov. Ted Strickland|
|Preceded by:||Maureen O'Connor|
|Past post:||Founding President, Center for Child and Family Advocacy|
|Undergraduate:||Ohio University, 1982|
|Law School:||The Ohio State University College of Law, 1982|
|Candidate for:||Supreme Court|
|Election information 2012:|
|Election date:||November 6, 2012|
Yvette McGee Brown was a justice on the Ohio Supreme Court. She was appointed by Governor Ted Strickland to a term commencing January 1, 2011. She took the oath of office on January 8, 2011, becoming the first black woman to serve as a Supreme Court justice in Ohio. She was defeated in the 2012 election by Sharon L. Kennedy.
- See also: Ohio judicial elections, 2012
Ohio State Bar Association ratings
In June and September, the Ohio State Bar Association rated McGee Brown as "Highly Recommended" according to eight criteria: legal knowledge and ability; professional competence; judicial temperament; integrity; diligence; health; personal responsibility; and public/community service.
- The Plain Dealer. To read the endorsement, see: The Plain Dealer, Editorial: "Plain Dealer endorses Ohio Supreme Court incumbents McGee Brown, Cupp and O'Donnell," October 20, 2012.
- The Columbus Dispatch. To read the endorsement, see: The Columbus Dispatch, "For Ohio Supreme Court," October 7, 2012.
- Toledo Blade. To read the endorsement, see: The Toledo Blade, "For Ohio Supreme Court," October 4, 2012.
- The Youngstown Vindicator. To read the endorsement, see: Vindy.com, "For the Ohio Supreme Court: McGee Brown, Cupp, O'Donnell," October 24, 2012.
- 2002-2009: Founding President, Center for Child and Family Advocacy
- 1993-2002: Judge, Franklin County Court of Common Pleas
- Attorney in private practice
- Chief legal counsel, Department of Rehabilitation and Correction and Department of Youth Services
- Ohio Attorney General's Office
|Governor/Lt. Governor of Ohio, 2010|
|Republican||John Kasich/Mary Taylor||49%||1,889,186|
|Democratic||Ted Strickland/Yvette McGee Brown Incumbent||47%||1,812,059|
|Libertarian||Ken Matesz/Margaret Ann Leech||2.4%||92,116|
|Green||Dennis Spisak/Anita Rios||1.5%||58,475|
|Election Results via Ohio Secretary of State|
Awards and associations
- On March 29, 2011 she was named to the Women's Bar Foundation Leadership Institute
- Received YWCA Women of Achievement Award
- Received Champion of Children Award
- 2008 Inducted into the Ohio Women's Hall of Fame
- Former chair, United Way of Central Ohio
- Former chair, YWCA Board of Directors
- Courts in Ohio
- Ohio judicial elections
- Lieutenant Governor of Ohio
- Ohio lieutenant gubernatorial election, 2010
- The Ohio Judiciary, Press Release: "Yvette McGee Brown Appointed to Ohio Supreme Court," December 10, 2010
- The Columbus Dispatch, "McGee Brown to join high court," December 11, 2010
- The Plain Dealer, "Ohio's new Supreme Court justice is a fine choice: editorial," January 1, 2011
- Columbus Dispatch "Justice McGee Brown has made plenty of friends on court" July 23, 2011
- The Plain Dealer, "Ohio Supreme Court Justice Yvette McGee Brown kicks off election campaign," January 9, 2012
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- The Ohio Judiciary, Press Release, ""Yvette McGee Brown Appointed to Ohio Supreme Court," December 10, 2010"
- The Ohio Judiciary, Press Release, "McGee Brown Sworn In as Ohio Supreme Court Justice," January 8, 2011
- Ohio Secretary of State, Official Results: 2012 General Election
- Dayton Daily News, "Senate and Ohio Supreme Court candidates certified," January 5, 2012
- Ohio State Bar Association, Candidate ratings for the 2012 Supreme Court of Ohio election, June 6, 2012
- Ohio State Bar Association, OSBA Supreme Court of Ohio Candidate Ratings for the 2012 Election, September 27, 2012
- Justices Named to Women's Bar Foundation Leadership Institute 3/29/11