|North Carolina House of Representatives District 38|
|Bachelor's||Kentucky State University|
|Master's||Kentucky State University|
|Ph.D.||Clark Atlanta University (ABD)|
Abeni El-Amin is Executive Director of Project Ricochet, Inc of North Carolina (PR-NC). PR-NC is a youth empowerment and community development organization.
El-Amin has taught political science courses at Wake Technical Community College in Social Sciences. She has taught as an adjunct instructor at Shaw University and the American-American Culture and History Center at North Carolina State University in the SPACE Academy. She has served as Assistance Instructor at Mercer University in Macon, GA, Savannah State University in Savannah, GA and Clark Atlanta University. Her research areas are American Government, African Politics and Government. Comparative Politics and Public Administration.
El-Amin has received an Associates degree from the Whitney M. Young Honors Program in Liberal Studies from Kentucky State University. She also holds a Bachelors degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing and Economics. She obtained her Masters degrees from Kentucky State University in Public Administration – Human Resource Management and Management Information Systems. She has completed work toward her PhD. at Clark Atlanta University in Political Science and is currently working on a PhD. in Business Administration with a specialization in Organizational Leadership at Northcentral University.
- Project Ricochet, Inc of NC, Founder, June 2009-present
- Carbon Core Fitness - Fitness, Health and Nutrition, Consultant, January 2002-present
- American Airlines, Domestic Advantage Sales, October 2008-present
- Omega Independent Living Services, Associate Professional, January 2007-January 2010
- Saint Augustine’s College, Assistant Professor of Political Science, August 2008-December 2006
- Mercer University, Visiting Assistant Professor, August 2004-July 2005
- Institute for Career Empowerment, Executive Director, July 2003-2004
- Continuing Education Provider, Fitness Instructor/Marketing Coordinator, May 2004-August 2004
- Savannah State University Political Science, Visiting Assistant Professor, August 2003-May 2004
- LA Fitness, Fitness Director, January 2002-August 2003
- Hillshire Farm & Kahn's, Sara Lee Corporation, Operator Sales Rep, January 1999-September 2000
- Lexmark International, Communications Buyer, June 1995-May 1997
- United States Social Security Administration, CRT, June 1994-May 1995
Professional or School Affiliations
- Wilburn Elementary PTA
- Wake Tech Basic Skills Board
- Wake Up Wake County, Board Member
- Wake County Democratic Party, Precinct Chair 17-01
- Wake County Democratic Party, 2nd Vice-Chair
- Wake County Democratic Party Young Democrats Executive Board
- Healthy Mothers - Healthy Babies Board Member
- City of Raleigh- Human Relations Commission Appointment
- City of Raleigh - Citizens' Participation Leadership Institute
- Raleigh-Apex NAACP - Secretary
- Haven House Services Community Service-Fitness Education
- Upward Bound Instructor- English/Fitness, Mercer University
- League of Women Voters
- College Board AP Reading: US Government and Politics, Fort Collins, CO
- State of Georgia Notary Public
- Nominated to Chatham County Democrats
- National Conference of Black Political Scientist (NCOBPS)
- American Association of Aerobics and Fitness (AFAA)- Certified Aerobics Instructor
- Ujamaa - CAU Graduate Political Science Organization
- Clark Atlanta University Student Government Association - House of Delegates Commuter Students
- Trust Order, Inc
- Kentucky Colonial Recipient
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated-Alpha Pi Chapter
El-Amin listed four predominant focuses of her campaign:
- Jobs: "My efforts in this office will focus on job creation by encouraging industry to locate in our district and by legislating increased investment in entrepreneurialism."
- Education: "Improved education measures continue to challenge policy-makers as budgets are decreased while populations increase. One major task that lies ahead is how to keep qualified instructors in the classroom to keep teacher-to-student ratio competitive with other states in the nation and globally."
- Transportation: "There are millions of dollars that have been invested in improved transportation infrastructure in North Carolina and I want residents of District 38 to be in the best possible position to obtain employment as US 1 is a targeted zone for light rail and supporting transportation routes. Additionally, this means that residents of District 38 have more choices for affordable and energy efficient methods of transportation."
- Safety: "Public safety continues to be a commitment of mine. The work that is being done to prolong the life of people through health initiatives I have created and the work that is being done to reduce violence in our community is a flame that burns strong."
On her campaign website El-Amin states, "Individuals and families in District 38 have been hit hard by the recession. Healthcare continues to be too expensive or completely unavailable for too many North Carolinians. In addition, to many of our communities face a rising tide of violence that threatens the future of our young people. As your representative, I will work to stimulate job growth and entrepreneurialism in our district. I will work to develop an affordable, comprehensive healthcare system for all. I will also encourage law enforcement and community leaders to work to protect our communities and our youth."
On her website El-Amin states, "Politics refers to the complex activity of disagreement and reconciliation concerning such issues as the authoritative allocation of values in society. It is my goal to make sure that my service is dedicated to making sure the resources of North Carolina are divided up appropriately for District 38.
Issues that prevent some from gaining an equitable share of societies scarce resources are: Some plural groups are economically or more persuasive than others, Apathy, and Historical incidents of government that suggests that government does not care.
Unfortunately, those who choose not to vocalize their needs to government risk living in environmentally unsafe neighborhoods, making less money than necessary, poor education, etc. My intention of service in the legislature is to provide disenfranchised groups the opportunity to come together so that collectively they can provide a better quality of life for themselves by appealing to those in policy making positions."
|North Carolina House of Representatives District 38 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Yvonne Lewis Holley||60.8%||6,328|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Abeni + El-Amin + North Carolina + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
Results are unavailable right now. Please check back later.
- In the Loop, "Abeni El-Amin to seek House District 38 seat," December 8, 2011
- News and Observer, "Anti-gang program director will run for House," February 14, 2012
- Raleigh Public Record, "Wake’s State and Fed House Seats Contested in May Primary," February 29, 2012
- IOPL Featured Candidate: Abeni El-Amin, Fall 2009 Fellow
- Raleigh MMA Fitness Examiner
- News & Observer, Search results for "Abeni El-Amin"
- Official Campaign Website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Abeni El-Amin for NC State House Facebook page
- Abeni El-Amin on Twitter
- Abeni El-Amin YouTube channel
- Email submission to Ballotpedia, March 14, 2012
- Abeni El-Amin for NC State Houe, "Collaborative Leadership," accessed March 29, 2012
- Abeni El-Amin for NC State Houe, "Finding Voice," accessed March 29, 2012
- North Carolina Board of Elections "Candidate lists," Accessed March 5, 2012
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "Official Primary Election Results," Accessed June 22, 2012
State of North Carolina
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Utilities |