Adam Chacon and Reynaldo Tavison recall, Clifton Unified School District, Arizona (2014)
An effort to recall Adam Chacon and Reynaldo Tavison from their positions on the Clifton Unified School District School Board in Clifton, Arizona was launched in August 2013. The recall election is set for March 11, 2014. Three candidates filed to run against Chacon and Tavison during the recall election. Chris Hancock submitted paperwork to oppose Chacon ahead of the January 10 filing deadline. Betty Swesey and Ron Johnson are running to replace Tavison.
Recall supporter arguments
The recall effort is led by Tammy McWhinney and Betty Swesey. Recall supporters are opposed to a major property tax increase approved by the board on July 15, 2013 to allow for an approximately 70 percent increase in the district budget. The tax increase was supported by Chacon and Tavison. It was opposed by board member Robert Gomez, who resigned from the board shortly thereafter. McWhinney is also calling for the district, which has less than 50 students in K-12, to be dissolved, and for the state legislature to repeal a law that allows school districts with less than 125 students to set budgets without public input or approval.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in Arizona
McWhinney began circulating non-binding recall petitions in August 2013 to gauge public sentiment over the matter. Official recall petitions were then circulated. A total of 151 valid signatures were required on the separate petitions to recall Tavison and Chacon. For Tavison, 25 petition pages with 292 valid signatures were logged. Organizers submitted 25 petition pages with 274 valid signatures to recall Chacon.
- District page
- Arizona Revised Statute 15-949: Small school districts; exemption from general budget limit; budget revision
- The Copper Era, "Clifton School Board recall is in the works," August 7, 2013
- Eastern Arizona Courier, "Clifton School Board recall election set for March 11," October 30, 2013
- Eastern Arizona Courier, "5 running in March 11 Clifton School Board recall election," January 15, 2014
- The Copper Era, "Taxpayers outraged by Clifton Schools huge tax hike," July 24, 2013
State of Arizona
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Commissioner of Lands | Director of Labor | Chairman of Corporation Commission | State Mine Inspector |