Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Illinois State Senate District 1|
|High school||Curie Metropolitan High School (1992)|
|J.D.||University of Chicago (2001)|
|Profession||Attorney of counsel at Vernor Moran, LLC|
Mondragon is an attorney of counsel at Vernor Moran, LLC. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in political science from Yale and a J.D. from the University of Chicago. Mondragon previously worked for the ACLU.
On his campaign site, Mondragon identifies six issues of the campaign:
- Crime: "Adolfo Mondragón will take a comprehensive approach to the problem that includes not only putting more police on our streets, but also includes addressing mental health and substance abuse problems among our youth and passing laws that impose swift and certain (but less severe) punishment for juvenile offenders."
- Environment and Health: "Community activists and environmental groups have desperately tried for years to clean up or close the Fisk and Crawford plants because both plants emit heat-trapping carbon dioxide, toxic mercury, and other pollutants that create lung-damaging soot and smog at levels that surpass federal regulations." "Adolfo Mondragón will never compromise the lives of our families and will fight to clean up or close the Fisk and Crawford plants."
- Housing: "Adolfo Mondragón will fight to preserve sustainable homeownership, to reclaim foreclosed housing stock as neighborhood assets, and to combat scams that seeks to exploit vulnerable families facing foreclosures."
- Government Reform: "Adolfo Mondragón will restore honesty and accountability to the 1st Legislative District. He will advocate vigorously for sunshine laws, tougher campaign finance regulations, for a less partisan system of re-districting, for state pension reform, for giving citizens the power to recall elected officials, and for laws making it easier to investigate and root out patronage and corruption at the municipal and state level."
- The Budget Crisis: "The budget crisis can only be solved by reforming the state pension system and generating new streams of revenue. First, we need to address the $73 billion unfunded pension liability by cutting pension benefits for future hires...Second, we need to increase tax revenues."
- Education: "Illinois needs to implement an equalized, state-wide property tax rate that strives to ensure both horizontal equity (per-pupil expenditures) and vertical equity (special needs)."
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2012
Mondragon ran in the 2012 election for Illinois State Senate District 1. Mondragon lost to incumbent Antonio Munoz in the Democratic primary on March 30, 2012. The general election took place on November 6, 2012. Edgar Diaz ran as a Democrat, but was removed from the ballot on January 4, 2012.
|Illinois State Senate Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Antonio Munoz Incumbent||75.6%||8,292|
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2010
Mondragon grew up in the Back of the Yards neighborhood in Chicago.
- Mondragon for State Senate, "Biography," accessed December 30, 2011
- Mondragon for State Senate, "Issues," accessed December 30, 2011
- Illinois State Board of Elections "Candidate List," December 5, 2011
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results"
- Illinois Secretary of State - 2012 Primary Results
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Candidate detail - Edgar Diaz," January 4, 2012
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Results for the February 2, 2010 primary in Illinois," February 2, 2010