Alabama Secret Ballot Amendment, Amendment 7 (2012)
|Referred by:||Alabama Legislature|
|Status:||On the ballot|
Text of measure
The ballot language that voters will see on the ballot reads as follows:
|“||Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of Alabama of 1901, to amend Amendment 579 to the Constitution of Alabama of 1901, now appearing as Section 177 of the Official Recompilation of the Constitution of Alabama of 1901, as amended, to provide that the right of individuals to vote for public office, public votes on referenda, or voters on employee representation by secret ballot is fundamental.
- The main sponsors of the measure were Kurt Wallace, Joseph Lister Hubbard, Becky Nordgren, and Victor Gaston, among others.
- Sponsor Kurt Wallace stated about the measure, "We should be free to go to work and not be harassed about whether we want unions or not...If you come to Alabama, you are not going to be forced to be union. We will let the people decide."
- House Democrats have argued that it's not government's job to mandate how elections are done in a business.
- Al Henley, president of the Alabama AFL-CIO, stated, "The measure would give companies more control over an already corporate-dominated system in which workers who want to form unions are harassed, intimidated and threatened by corporations that want to deny them their rights."
Path to ballot
The House Constitution, Campaigns and Elections Committee approved of sending the measure to the Alabama House of Representatives for debate and vote during the month of March 2011. On March 9, 2011, the Alabama House of Representatives voted to approve the amendment with a tally of 63-31. This sent the proposal to the Alabama State Senate where it faced a similar vote before going on to the 2012 ballot.
- Montgomvery Advertiser, "Secret ballot bill will go before the full House", March 3, 2011
- Alabama Secretary of State, "2011-656", Retrieved August 27, 2012
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Alabama Secretary of State, "House Bill 64", Retrieved September 18, 2012
- The Republic, "Ala. Amendment 7 on the right to 'secret ballot' injects voters into labor-management battle", October 18, 2012
- WRCBTV.com, "House OKs bill for secret ballots in union votes", March 9, 2011
- Montgomery Advertiser, "Flurry of bills pass on final day of session", June 10, 2011