Alan S. Dick
|Alaska House of Representatives District 6|
|January 24, 2011-January 24, 2013|
|Base salary||$50,400 per year|
|Per diem||Tied to federal rate|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
Dick has worked as a construction worker, an educator, and a private pilot.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Dick served on the following committees:
- Community & Regional Affairs Committee, Alaska House of Representatives
- Education Committee, Alaska House of Representatives, Chair
- Health & Social Services Committee, Alaska House of Representatives, Vice Chair
- Resources Committee, Alaska House of Representatives
- Finance Subcommittees:
- Subcommittee on Education and Early Development
- Subcommittee on Environmental Conservation
- Subcommittee on Fish and Game
- Subcommittee on Health and Social Services
Dick listed the following state issues on his website:
- Excerpt: "As a State, we need to become more independent. We need to carefully but deliberately utilize our natural resources."
- Excerpt: "Schools should reflect the unique nature of each community. The current model is NOT working well."
- Self sufficiency
- Excerpt: "All communities need to become economically more self-sufficient. "
- Excerpt: "Outmigration of villages and small towns can be reversed by honestly identifying the problems and dealing with them. Financial accountability for resources given to the villages heads the list."
- Excerpt: "As I talk with people in our district, representation is the biggest issue! Many people say they have been unrepresented or under-represented in both the House and the Senate."
- Fuel costs
- Excerpt: "Fuel costs are staggering for remote villages. I am learning exciting possibilities and will be pursuing the solutions and urge you to share your ideas for of how to cut energy expenses for all of us."
Dick ran for re-election in the 2012 election for Alaska House of Representatives District 38 due to redistricting. He ran unopposed in the August 28, 2012, Republican primary and was challenged by incumbent David Guttenberg (D) and Dorothy Shockley (I) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012. Dick was defeated in the general election.
|Alaska House of Representatives District 6 General Election (2010)|
|Alan S. Dick (R)||3,131||58.16%|
|Woodie Salmon (D)||2,210||41.06%|
In 2010, Dick raised $13,936 in contributions.
His four largest contributors were:
|Alaska Republican Party||$4,000|
|Republican Women Fairbanks||$1,500|
In March 2012, Dick came under fire for comments he made suggesting women should obtain signed permission from the father of a fetus in order to have an abortion.
A week after making the comments, Dick issued a statement, saying, “Last week in a committee hearing on funding of abortions, I made a less than artful comparison. I have received several phone calls from women who were offended. I’ve listened to what they said. I realize how what I said could be taken to be hurtful — it was for the women who called — and I apologize.”
In September 2013, the Legislative Ethics Committee fined Dick $18,000 after finding him guilty of five violations of the Ethics Act. Three other allegations, also filed in December 2012, were dismissed. The $18,000 fine is the largest levied against a legislature because of an ethics violation in recent times. Two of the charges stem from his use of his legislative office as a residence for his family and to run campaign activities. The other violations relate to using state resources for his own personal campaign, including having employees prepare materials for a debate and combining legislative travel with campaign activities. “He seemed to operate under the premise that rules and regulations regarding legislative travel did not apply to him," said the official news release.
Dick and his wife, Helen, have five children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Alan + Dick + Alaska + House" Alan Dick News Feed
- Official campaign website
- Facebook campaign page
- Project Vote Smart Biography
- Project Vote Legislative profile
- Campaign contributions 2010
- Alaska House of Representatives of Representatives "House Majority Members" Accessed September 18, 2012
- Alan Dick's campaign website, Issues
- Alaska Division of Elections, "2012 Primary Candidate List," accessed March 12, 2014
- Alaska Division of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results," accessed March 12, 2014
- Alaska Election Division, "Official 2012 General election results," accessed November 16, 2012
- Alaska Department of Elections, "Official 2010 Primary election results," accessed March 12, 2014
- Alaska Department of Elections, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed March 12, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Daily News-Miner, "Alaska state Rep. Alan Dick apologizes for saying women should get a man's permission to obtain an abortion," March 23, 2012
- alaskadispatch.com, "Former Alaska Rep. Alan Dick ordered to repay state $18,000 for ethics violations," September 11, 2013
Woodie Salmon (D)
|Alaska House of Representatives District 6
| Succeeded by|
Eric A. Feige (R)