Alaska Matanuska-Susitna Borough Legislature Initiative, Measure 2 (2002)
|Not on ballot|
|Alaska Initiative to Move Location of Legislative Sessions, Measure 2|
Text of measure
The language that appeared on the ballot said,
This bill would move all sessions of the state legislature to the Matanuska-Susitna (Mat-Su) Borough. If facilities fit for these sessions can not be found in that borough, sessions would be held in Anchorage until facilities are available in the Mat-Su Borough. The bill would repeal the requirements that before the state can spend money to move the legislature, the voters must be informed of the total costs as would be determined by a commission, and approve a bond issue for all bondable costs of the move.
Should this initiative become law?
The initiative's chief sponsors were Robert Monson, Mark Chryson and James A. Nelson.
Alaska Statute 15.45.180 requires the lieutenant governor to prepare a ballot title and proposition for initiative petitions. A lawsuit challenging the ballot title chosen by the Lt. Governor was filed in state superior court (case number 3 AN-01-9799 CI) and an appeal of that action was filed in the Alaska Supreme Court (case number S-10633). The Supreme Court ordered a revision of the ballot title.
Path to the ballot
- The petition application was received in the Lieutenant Governor's Office on June 29, 2001.
- A copy of the application and signatures were sent to the Department of Law and Division of Elections on June 29, 2001 for review and verification of signatures.
- Legal review was received from the Department of Law on July 11, 2001.
- The Division of Elections determined that there were a sufficient number of signatures on July 18, 2001.
- The application was certified on July 23, 2001.
- The petition was filed on January 10, 2002.
- Lieutenant Governor Ulmer certified the petition for this initiative as properly filed on March 4, 2002.
- The initiative appeared on the 2002 general election ballot (AS 15.45.150).
- Alaska 2002 ballot measures
- 2002 ballot measures
- List of Alaska ballot measures
- List of ballot measures by year
- List of ballot measures by state
State of Alaska
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Comptroller | Commissioner of the Department of Revenue | Commissioner of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development | Regulatory Commission |