Difference between revisions of "Alaska school districts"
m (Text replace - "Portal:School boards and school board elections" to "Portal:School Boards and School Board Elections")
|Line 73:||Line 73:|
*[[Portal:School and |School board elections portal]]
*[[List of school districts in Alaska]]
*[[List of school districts in Alaska]]
Revision as of 16:52, 11 April 2014
|K-12 Education in Alaska|
|State Superintendent: Michael Hanley|
|Number of students: 131,167|
|Number of teachers: 8,088|
|Teacher/pupil ratio: 1:16.2|
|Number of school districts: 54|
|Number of schools: 511|
|Graduation rate: 70%|
|Per-pupil spending: $16,674|
|Alaska Department of Education|
Alaska school districts
List of school districts in Alaska
School boards portal
|Education policy project|
|Public education in the United States |
Public education in Alaska
Glossary of education terms
Alaska is home to 511 schools, 54 districts and 131,167 K-12 students.
State school administrators
- State Board of Education
- Jim Merriner, Chair, Public-at-Large
- Esther J. Cox, First Vice-Chair, 3rd Judicial District
- Janel Keplinger, Second Vice-Chair, Public-at-Large
- James K. Fields, REAA Representative
- Sue Hull, Fourth Judicial District
- Bunny Schaeffer, Second Judicial District
- Patrick Shier, First Judicial District
- Carly Williams, Student Advisor
- Lt. Col. Douglas Hays, Military Advisor
The following table displays the top ten Alaska school districts by total student enrollment.
The following table displays the ethnic distribution of students in Alaska.
|American Indian/Alaskan Native||23.0%|
|Two or More||7.2%|
School board elections
- See also: Alaska school board elections, 2014
A total of three Alaska school districts among America's largest school districts by enrollment will hold elections in 2014 for seven seats. Elections are spread throughout the year, including one on April 1, 2014, and two on October 7, 2014.
Here are several quick facts about Alaska's school board elections in 2014:
- The largest school district by enrollment with an election in 2014 is Anchorage School District with 49,206 K-12 students.
- The smallest school district by enrollment with an election in 2014 is Fairbanks North Star Borough School District with 14,285 K-12 students.
- Anchorage School District has the most seats on the ballot in 2014 with four seats up for election.
- Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District has the fewest seats on the ballot in 2014 with two seats up for election.
The districts listed below served 80,570 K-12 students during the 2010-2011 school year, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. Click on the district names for more information on the district and its school board elections.
|2014 Alaska School Board Elections|
|District||Date||Seats up for election||Total board seats||Student enrollment|
|Anchorage School District||4/1/2014||2||7||49,206|
|Fairbanks North Star Borough School District||10/7/2014||3||7||14,285|
|Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District||10/7/2014||2||7||17,079|
- National Center for Education Statistics, "Table 2. Number of operating public schools and districts, state enrollment, teacher and pupil/teacher ratio by state: School year 2011–12," accessed March 18, 2014
- ED Data Express, "State Tables Report," accessed March 17, 2014 The site includes this disclaimer: "States converted to an adjusted cohort graduation rate [starting in the 2010-2011 school year], which may or may not be the same as the calculation they used in prior years. Due to the potential differences, caution should be used when comparing graduation rates across states."
- United States Census Bureau, "Public Education Finances: 2011," accessed March 18, 2014
- State Education Data Profiles Accessed August 13, 2013
- District Enrollment as of October 1, 2012 Accessed August 14, 2013
- State Profiles Accessed August 13, 2013
- National Center for Education Statistics, "Elementary/Secondary Information System," accessed March 21, 2014
State of Alaska
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Comptroller | Commissioner of the Department of Revenue | Commissioner of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development | Regulatory Commission |
Alaska Department of Education and Early Development | Alaska school districts |