Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Virginia House of Delegates District 90|
|2004 - Present|
|Years in position||10|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|Next general||November 5, 2013|
|Bachelor's||Norfolk Division, Virginia State College, 1967|
|Master's||Hampton Institute, 1973|
|Service/branch||United States Air Force|
|Years of service||4|
|Place of birth||Holland, VA|
Howell earned his B.A. from Norfolk Division, Virginia State College in 1967 and his M.A. from the Hampton Institute in 1973.
In the 2012-2013 session, Howell has been appointed to the following committees:
In the 2010-2011 session, Howell served on the following committees:
- Capital Outlay Subcommittee
- Higher Education Subcommittee
- Transportation Subcommittee
- Health, Welfare and Institutions
- Subcommittee #1
- Subcommittee #4
- Counties, Cities and Towns
- Subcommittee #2
- Privileges and Elections
- Campaign Finance Subcommittee
- HB 1615 Wireless telecommunications devices; prohibits use of text messaging while driving certain vehicles.
- HB 1704 Smoke Free Air Act; smoking in public places, civil penalties.
- HB 2578 Novelty cigarette lighters; prohibiting purchase to persons under age of 18.
On November 8, 2011, Howell won re-election to District 90 of the Virginia House of Delegates. He defeated Richard James in the primary on August 23, 2011 and ran unopposed in the November 8 general election.
|Virginia House of Delegates Democratic Primary, 2011|
|Algie Howell Incumbent||59.8%||1,311|
In 2009, Howell was re-elected to the Virginia House of Delegates. 
|Virginia House of Delegates General Election, District 90 (2009)|
|Algie Howell (D)||7,398|
|Jason Call (R)||3,672|
The top 5 donors to Howell's 2009 campaign:
|Virginia Legislative Black Caucus||$7,500|
|Medical Society of Virginia PAC||$2,000|
Howell and his wife, Leeser, have two children.
- Virginia House of Delegates - Rep. Howell
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions:2009, 2007, 2005, 2003
- Richmond Sunlight profile
- Virginia Public Access Project profile
|Virginia House of Delegates District 90
| Succeeded by|
State of Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chairman of State Corporation Commission |