American Federation of Teachers
|American Federation of Teachers|
"The mission of the American Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO, is to improve the lives of our members and their families; to give voice to their legitimate professional, economic and social aspirations; to strengthen the institutions in which we work; to improve the quality of the services we provide; to bring together all members to assist and support one another; and to promote democracy, human rights and freedom in our union, in our nation and throughout the world."
The American Federation of Teachers, an affiliate of the AFL-CIO, was founded in 1916 and currently represents 1.5 million members in more than 3,000 local affiliates nationwide.
The AFT is governed by their 43 member executive council and by delegates to the union’s biennial convention. Council members are elected and are in charge of setting organizational policies.
- President: Randi Weingarten
- Secretary-Treasurer: Lorretta Johnson
- Executive Vice President: Francine Lawrence
According to Open Secrets, the American Federation of Teachers spent $8,578,462 in the 2012 election cycle.
In the 2012 election cycle, the American Federation of Teachers supported the following candidates:
|Top 5 largest American Federation of Teachers expenditures in 2012|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "American+ Federation+ of+ Teachers"
- All stories may not be relevant to this organization due to the nature of the search engine.
- American Federation of Teachers,"American Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO," retrieved March 12, 2011
- AFT.org, "About," accessed December 16, 2013
- AFT.org, "Leadership," accessed December 16, 2013
- Open Secrets, "American Federation of Teachers," accessed December 16, 2013
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid