For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|New Jersey General Assembly District 13|
|2006 - Present|
|Years in position||9|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|Next general||November 5, 2013|
|Master's||Columbia University, 1979|
|Ph.D.||New York University, 1991|
|Date of birth||01/28/1956|
|Place of birth||Neptune, NJ|
|Profession||Associate Professor of Marketing, Monmouth University|
Handlin currently works as an Associate Professor of Marketing at Monmouth University, a position she has held since 1998. Prior to her election to the Assembly, she served as a freeholder in Monmouth County from 1990-2005, was deputy mayor of Middletown from 1989-1990, and served on the Middletown Township Committee from 1987-1990. 
- A221 Establishes campaign advertising ethics committee; imposes penalties for making false, deceptive, misleading or fraudulent statements about candidates for public office.
- A391 Requires all elected officials and candidates and certain other public officials to file financial disclosure statement.
- A412 Requires all elected or appointed local government officers to receive ethics training.
- A965 Prohibits candidates and elected public officials charged with crimes from using campaign contributions for their legal defense.
National Political Awareness Test
Handlin's answers to the New Jersey State Legislative Election 2007 National Political Awareness Test are available. When asked her top priorities she listed the top three as:
- Cut state spending, enact permanent property tax reform
- End pay-to-play, enact significant campaign Finance reform
- Enact strict ethics laws and mandatory ethics training
Handlin ran in the 2013 election for New Jersey General Assembly District 13. Handlin is bracketed with Declan O'Scanlon, Jr.. She defeated Edna Walsh and Stephen Boracchia in the June 4 Republican primary. She is challenged by Allison Friedman (D) and Matthew Morehead (D) in the general election which takes place on November 5, 2013.
Handlin won re-election in 2011. Handlin and Declan O'Scanlon, Jr. ran unopposed in the June 7 Republican primary. They then defeated Kevin Lavan, Patrick Short, William Lawton, and Frank Cottone in the November 8 general election.
Running for re-election in the November 3, 2009 general election, Handlin received 39,863 votes (33%), defeating challengers Bob Brown, James Grenafege, and Sean Dunne. She was bracketed with Samuel Thompson.
|New Jersey Assembly General Election, Thirteenth Legislative District (2009)|
|Amy H. Handlin (R)||39,998|
|Samuel D. Thompson (R)||38,967|
|Robert "Bob" Brown (D)||20,371|
|James Grenafege (D)||18,769|
In 2011, Handlin received $129,591 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|New Jersey General Assembly 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Amy Handlin's campaign in 2011|
|New Jersey Republican Party||$4,118|
|Medical Society Of New Jersey||$3,350|
|Monmouth County Medical Society||$2,100|
|New Jersey Funeral Directors Association||$1,500|
|Total Raised in 2011||$129,591|
|Total Votes received in 2011||24,073|
|Cost of each vote received||$5.38|
Below are Handlin's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2009 election:
|New Jersey Republican Party||$13,488|
|Republican National Committee||$6,775|
|New Jersey Education Association||$4,300|
|Medical Society Of New Jersey||$2,275|
|New Jersey Business & Industry Association||$2,000|
Handlin and her husband, David, have two children, Daniel and Rebecca.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Amy + Handlin + New Jersey + Assembly"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- New Jersey General Assembly - Hon. Amy Handlin
- Amy Handlin, Campaign Facebook page
- Amy Handlin, NJ Republicans profile
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2009, 2007
- Project Vote Smart - Assemblywoman Handlin
- New Jersey Legislature - Bills by Sponsor
- Project Vote Smart - Assemblywoman Handlin Issue Positions
- Mitt Romney for President, "Mitt Romney Announces Support of New Jersey Leaders," December 15, 2011
- Monmouth County Unofficial Primary Results, June 4, 2013
- New Jersey Department of State, 2011 Official General Assembly Primary Candidate List
- Star Ledger 2009 Election Results, November 4, 2009
- Official New Jersey Assembly General Election Results
- Follow the Money - 2011 contributions
- Follow the Money - 2009 Campaign contributions
|New Jersey General Assembly District 13
| Succeeded by|
State of New Jersey
|State executive officer||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Protection | Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development | President of Public Utilities |