Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Pennsylvania State Senate District 31|
|J.D.||Penn State University|
Shaw earned his bachelor's in finance from Cedarville University and his law degree from Penn State University. He maintains a practice in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. He is married to his wife, Andrea. They have two children.
PoliticsPA has named the District 31 Republican primary one of Pennsylvania's top ten most interesting legislative primaries in 2012. According to preliminary campaign finance reports, incumbent Pat Vance has outspent Shaw 10-1. Shaw's $160,000 in campaign expenditures tops the list of candidates for whom reports have been processed.
On his 2012 campaign website, Shaw outlines his campaign themes and policy goals:
- The Right to Life: "Andy Shaw believes that every human life, from conception to natural death, should receive full legal protection under the law. He supports the landmark Women’s Right-to-Know Law requiring medical professionals to inform pregnant women of their right to view an ultrasound...Andy strongly supports ending all taxpayer funding of abortion and believes programs like Pennsylvania’s Alternatives to Abortion Program should continue to focus on promoting compassionate alternatives and informed choices for women..."
- Public Service, Public Trust: "As a member of the State Senate, Andy will decline a public pension and advocate for significant, structural changes to the state retirement system."
- Taxes & Spending: As a member of the State Senate, Andy Shaw will oppose any increase in taxes. As Pennsylvania’s pension obligations continue to rise because of poor legislative decision-making and underperforming investments, taxpayers are left with an unsustainable obligation..." Shaw lists pensions, future spending, future debt, corrections, and welfare as target areas for reform.
- On Traditional Marriage: "Andy Shaw opposes efforts by judges and political leaders in both parties to redefine marriage..."
- The Second Amendment: "Andy opposes any effort to limit or restrict constitutionally protected gun rights..."
- The Tenth Amendment: "As a member of the State Senate, he will be a vigilant defender of the State’s right to oppose and repeal unconstitutional decisions like Obamacare, and other mandates restricting the rights of citizens."
- Gambling Expansion: "Andy will continue his opposition to any effort to fund public priorities with unstable gambling dollars..."
- School Reform: "Andy will support 21st Century reforms that move the focus from funding and protecting systems and buildings, to one aimed at truly educating children. Andy strongly supports Governor Tom Corbett’s wide-ranging plan to rescue tens of thousands of students from violent, underperforming and failing schools through Opportunity Scholarships. He also supports a major expansion of the Educational Improvement Tax Credit to give lower and middle income families the opportunity to experience a world-class education."
On March 26, the Republican primary candidates participated in a debate hosted by the Republican Club of York County. Coverage of the debate can be found here.
|Pennsylvania State Senate, District 31 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Pat Vance Incumbent||56.9%||18,882|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Andrew + Shaw + Pennsylvania + Senate'"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Andy Shaw, Campaign site, accessed April 20, 2012
- PoliticsPA, "Top 10 Most Interesting Pa. House & Senate Primaries," April 3, 2012
- York Daily Record, "Candidates for Pennsylvania General Assembly spent more than $400,000 between January and early April," April 19, 2012
- Pennsylvania Department of State, "2012 General Primary," accessed March 11, 2014
- Pennsylvania Department of State, "2012 General Election," accessed March 11, 2014