Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Mississippi State Senate District 28|
Porter ran in the special election for District 28 of the Mississippi State Senate. The seat was vacant following Alice Harden's (D) death on December 6, 2012. Porter lost against Cindy Ayers-Elliott, Tamarra Grace Butler, Marshand Crisler, Sollie B. Norwood, James "Jimmy" Stewart, Kathy L. Sykes, Tommy L. Wallace, II, and Cassanda Welchlin in the special election on February 5, 2013. Candidates had until January 7 to file. Special elections in Mississippi are non-partisan. As no candidate took over 50 percent of the vote, the top two vote-getters - Crisler and Norwood - proceeded to a runoff.
Porter ran in the 2011 election for Mississippi House of Representatives District 70. He did not appear on the August 2, 2011 primary ballot. No Republican candidates filed to run for election. The general election took place on November 8, 2011. 
- Clarion Ledger, "State Sen. Alice Harden dies at 64," December 6, 2012
- Clarion Ledger, "Bryant sets Senate 28 special election," December 18, 2012
- Mississippi Secretary of State, " 2013 candidate qualifying list," accessed January 11, 2013
- Fox 10tv.com, "Runoff scheduled in Senate District 28," February 6, 2013
- Mississippi Secretary of State, 2011 Official Primary Candidate List