Appomattox Public Schools, Virginia
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Virginia school district websites
- Budget information for the 2009-2010 fiscal year, including federal, state, and local revenue information, is available. No proposed or approved budget for 2010-2011 is available.
- School board meeting dates and agendas are present, but meeting minutes are not posted.
- Administrative and school board contact information is available.
- Section K: School Community Relations of the Appomattox County Public Schools Policy Manual includes Request for Information procedures in compliance with Virginia’s Freedom of Information Act. Section D: Fiscal Management includes information regarding audit requirements and Section G: Personnel includes staff evaluation procedures.
- Vendor contract information is available on the Virginia state website. 
- Academic performance information is not provided. It can be accessed on the Virginia Department of Education website.
- Teacher contracts are not available. Teacher salary data is available on the Virginia Department of Education website.
- The website does not include information on background checks.
- The website does not include information on audits.
Current School Board Members
|Amy Martin||Piney Mountain District|
|R.W. "Bobby" Mitchell||Courthouse District|
|Stacey C. Garret||Appomattox River District|
|Rev. J. Wesley Williams||Wreck Island District|
|Bobby K. Waddell||Falling River District|
The current Superintendent is Dr. Dorinda G. Grasty, Ed.D.
The Virginia Public School System is supervised by a Board of Education, comprised of nine members appointed by the Governor and approved by the Virginia General Assembly. Members serve staggered four-year terms.
The Board of Education is responsible for dividing the Commonwealth of Virginia into school divisions and reviewing existing divisions to ensure standards of quality are being met. The Board makes annual reports to the General Assembly regarding public education in the Commonwealth and is further charged with certifying to the school board of each division a list of persons for the office of division superintendent of schools, one of whom the school board ultimately selects to fill the position. The Board also approves all educational materials used in the public schools. Supervision of school divisions is conducted by individual school boards. 
Current Board of Education Members 
|Eleanor B. Saslaw, President||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|Dr. Ella P. Ward, Vice President||2nd||January 29, 2011|
|Elizabeth D. Beamer||1st||January 29, 2014|
|Dr. Billy K. Cannaday, Jr.||1st||June 30, 2011|
|Isis M. Castro||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|David M. Foster||1st||January 29, 2014|
|David L. Johnson||2nd||June 30, 2011|
|K. Rob Krupicka||1st||January 29, 2013|
|Dr. Virginia L. McLaughlin||1st||January 29, 2013|
Budgeted expenditures for the 2009-2010 fiscal year totaled $20,209,508, including $1,289,189 in federal revenue, $12,860,810 in state revenue, and $3,741,036 in county revenue. 70.8% of the budget was dedicated to instruction. 2010-2011 proposed or approved budget has not been made available on the website.
The Commonwealth of Virginia assesses schools based on Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and other statewide assessments; schools receive two accountability ratings a year based on student performance on these assessments. SOL tests assess student performance in English, math, science and history. Ratings are also given based on school and school division adherence to the goals of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which requires 100 percent proficiency in reading and mathematics by 2014.
School's state accreditation is based on performance in English, history, mathematics and science.
Schools and school divisions, as well as the State, are rated as achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if they meet or exceed annual benchmarks in reading and mathematics.
The Virginia Department of Education School Division Report Card reports Appomattox County Public Schools as having a student population of 2,334 and 4 schools in the division.
Appomattox County Public School Division did not make AYP for the 2009-2010 school year.
|School||Grade||Enrollment|| Made Adequate Yearly
Progress for 2009?
|Appomattox County High||9 - 12||673||No|
|Appomattox Elementary||3 - 5||550||Yes|
|Appomattox Middle||6 - 8||541||No|
|Appomattox Primary||Pre-K - 2||570||Yes|
- Appomattox County Public Schools official website
- Virginia Department of Education official website
- Official Website of the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Virginia Education Association Official Website
- 'Appomattox County Public Schools', Budget and Finance, June 12, 2010
- 'Appomattox County Public Schools', BoardDocs, June 12, 2010
- 'Appomattox County Public Schools', District Staff, June 12, 2010
- 'Appomattox County Public Schools', School Board Members, June 11, 2010
- ‘Appomattox County Public Schools’, Policies, August 2, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Virginia State Contracts, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', School Division, and State Report Cards, June 12, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Education Workforce Data & Reports, June 10, 2010
- 'Appomattox County Public Schools' School Board Members, June 14, 2010
- 'Legislative Information System', Constitution of Virginia, June 10, 2010
- 'State Board of Education', Board Members, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', School Report Card Accountability Guide, June 14, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Appomattox County Public Schools, June 12, 2010
- 'Virginia Education Association', June 10, 2010
- 'National Education Association', June 10, 2010