Arizona's 2nd Congressional District elections, 2014
November 4, 2014
August 26, 2014
Cook Political Report: Toss Up
Sabato's Crystal Ball: Toss Up
Arizona is one of 21 states with a mixed primary system. The primary is considered semi-closed. Unaffiliated voters may choose which party's primary they will vote in, but voters registered with a party can only vote in that party's primary.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.General election candidates
- Ron Barber - Incumbent
Incumbent Ron Barber (D), is one of seven early targets listed by the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) in the 2014 congressional elections. The seven targets align perfectly with the seven most Republican districts currently held by Democrats, according to FairVote's partisanship index. Barber's district ranks as the 7th most Republican (46% D).
Barber is a member of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee's Frontline Program. The program is designed to help protect vulnerable Democratic incumbents heading into the 2014 election.
According to the NRCC, a poll released on July 11, 2013, shows Barber leading McSally 46% to 45%.
|U.S. House, Arizona District 2 General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Ron Barber Incumbent||50.4%||147,338|
|Source: Arizona Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House, Arizona District 2 General Election, 2010|
|Republican||Trent Franks Incumbent||64.9%||173,173|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Arizona, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Cook Political Report, "2014 HOUSE RACE RATINGS FOR June 26, 2014," accessed July 28, 2014
- Sabato's Crystal Ball, "2014 House Races," accessed July 28, 2014
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013, through January 3, 2014, researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- Arizona Redistricting, "Map," accessed July 7, 2012
- The Hill, "NRCC, promising to 'stay on offense,' targets seven Dems," January 16, 2013
- FairVote "NRCC Targets Foreshadow Power of Partisanship in 2014 Elections," January 18, 2013
- Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, "DCCC Chairman Steve Israel Announces 2013-2014 Frontline Members," March 5, 2013
- Roll Call, "GOP Poll: McSally and Barber Tied in Arizona," July 11, 2013
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 2, 2010"