Arizona Protect Marriage, Proposition 107 (2006)
|Preamble • I • II • III • IV • V • VI • VI.I • VII • VIII • IX • X • XI • XII • XIII • XIV • XV • XVI • XVII • XVIII • XIX • XX • XXI • XXII • XXV • XXVI • XXVII • XXVIII • XXIX • XXX|
Marriage and Family
|Not on ballot|
If Prop 107 had passed in 2006, it would have added this language to the Arizona Constitution:
- "To preserve and protect marriage in this state, only a union between one man and one woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage by this state or its political subdivisions and no legal status for unmarried persons shall be created or recognized by this state or its political subdivisions that is similar to that of marriage."
Text of measure
The language that appeared on the ballot:
Analysis by Legislative Council
Pursuant to Arizona state statute, marriage between persons of the same sex is void and prohibited. Arizona law does not recognize a marriage contracted in any other state or country that is between two persons of the same sex.
Proposition 107 would amend the Arizona Constitution to provide that in order to preserve and protect marriage:
1. Only a union between one man and one woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage by the State of Arizona or its cities, towns, counties or districts.
2. The State of Arizona and its cities, towns, counties or districts shall not create or recognize a legal status for unmarried persons that is similar to marriage.
Fiscal Impact Statement
State law requires the Joint Legislative Budget Committee (JLBC) Staff to prepare a summary of the fiscal impact of certain ballot measures. Proposition 107 is not projected to have a state cost.
Funding of the campaigns for and against
Two committees formed to support the measure: "Protect Marriage Arizona", which spent $1,019,143, and "Defend Marriage Arizona", which spent $19,950.
Two committees also formed to oppose the measure: "Arizona Together Opposed", which spent $1,831,504, and "No on 107", which spent $66,189.
Donors in favor
- Marriage and family on the ballot
- Arizona State Senate
- Arizona House of Representatives
- Arizona 2006 ballot measures
- 2006 ballot measures
- List of ballot measures by year
- List of ballot measures by state
- List of Arizona ballot measures
- Text of the amendment
- Donors for and against Proposition 107
- National Conference of State Legislatures Ballot Measures Database