Arizona down ballot state executive elections, 2014
August 26, 2014
November 4, 2014
Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General
Mine Inspector, Treasurer, Superintendent, Corporation Commissioner
Arizona is one of 21 states with a mixed primary system. The primary is considered semi-closed. Unaffiliated voters may choose which party's primary they will vote in, but voters registered with a party can only vote in that party's primary.
|Office||Incumbent||Assumed Office||Incumbent running?|
|Mine Inspector||Joe Hart
||2011||No, running for governor|
|Superintendent of Public Instruction||John Huppenthal
|Corporation Commission||Gary Pierce
||2007||Ineligible due to term limits|
|Corporation Commission||Brenda Burns
The superintendent of public instruction oversees and administrates the Arizona Department of Education, which manages the state's public school system. His general duties include managing the employees of the department. Other specific responsibilities enumerated by law include:
- Executing the policies established by the State Board of Education.
- Apportioning state education funds to individual counties each year.
- Distributes school materials, courses of study, administrative information, teachers certificates and other items to individual school districts.
- Audits the accounts of school officials across the state with the assistance of the auditor general.
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013 through January 3, 2014 researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- azcentral.com, "Arizona candidates file nominating petitions," May 23, 2014
- Doug Ducey for Governor 2014 Official campaign website, "Homepage," accessed September 1, 2013
- azcentral.com, "Burns won't seek 2nd term on Corporation Commission," April 19, 2013
- Arizona Revised Statutes, "Title 15, Article 3 -- Superintendent of Public Instruction," accessed June 7, 2011.
State of Arizona
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Commissioner of Lands | Director of Labor | Chairman of Corporation Commission | State Mine Inspector |