For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Arkansas elections, 2012
|1 2012 Elections|
|2 Eligibility to Vote|
|2.1 Primary election|
|2.2 General election|
|3 Voting absentee|
|3.3 Military and overseas voting|
|4 Voting early|
|5 See also|
The state of Arkansas held elections in 2012. Below are the dates of note:
- Signature filing deadline: March 1, 2012 & July 6, 2012 (Measures only)
- Primary date: May 22, 2012
- General election date: November 6, 2012
|On the 2012 ballot|| Click here for all |
November 6, 2012
|U.S. Senate||Preview Article|
|U.S. House (4 seats)|
|State Senate (35 seats)||Preview Article|
|State House (100 seats)|
|Ballot measures (4 measures)||Preview Article|
For election results in the 50 states, see our November 6, 2012 election results page
Elections by type
|Members of the U.S. House from Arkansas -- Partisan Breakdown|
|Party||As of November 2012||After the 2012 Election|
|District||General Election Candidates||Incumbent||2012 Winner||Partisan Switch?|
|1st|| Scott Ellington
|Rick Crawford||Rick Crawford||No|
|Tim Griffin||Tim Griffin||No|
|3rd|| Steve Womack
|Steve Womack||Steve Womack||No|
|4th|| Gene Jeffress
|Mike Ross||Tom Cotton||Yes|
- See also: Arkansas 2012 ballot measures
|Issue 1||Taxes||Would place a half-cent sales tax in the state.|
|Issue 2||Taxes||Authorize cities and counties to create districts for redevelopment projects.|
|Issue 3||Gambling||Would allow for casinos in the state.|
|Issue 4||Gambling||Would allow for a casino in seven state counties.|
|CISS||Issue 5||Marijuana||Authorize the use of medical marijuana in the state.|
Arkansas will see the most recall action of any state on November 6, with six mayors facing recall. Voters will go to the polls to decide whether Tim McLellan of Kingsland, Ronnie Conley of Cotton Plant, Johnny McMahan of Bauxite, Paul Mitchell of Alexander, Tony Lawhon of Redfield, and Clinton Harris of Wilmot can keep their elected positions.
Arkansas recall action in 2012
The six recall elections taking place on November 6 are the first recall elections to take place in Arkansas in 2012. Recall efforts against three other mayors, Jill Dabbs of Bryant, Jeff Crockett of Harrison, and Sheila Walters of Trumann, failed to make the ballot.
Eligibility to Vote
- See also: Voting in the 2012 primary elections
Arkansas is one of 19 states to use an open primary system. When runoff elections are used, voters must vote in same party's runoff election as they voted for in the first round election. Voters had to register by April 23, 2012 to vote in the primary. (Information about registering to vote)
- See also: Voting in the 2012 general elections
The deadline to register to vote was 30 days prior to the election day, which in 2012 was October 8.
- Voter ID info
- Residency requirements: Residing in Arkansas at least 30 days prior to the election
- Same-day registration: None
- See also: Absentee Voting
You are eligible to vote absentee in an election if you cannot make it to the polls on Election Day for one of the following reasons:
—Arkansas Secretary of State
To vote absentee a request must be received at least seven days prior to the election (by mail or fax) or the day before election (in person). The ballot must then be returned either in person by close of business the day before the election or by mail. If returned by mail, it must be received by 7:30 p.m. on Election Day.
Military and overseas voting
For full details regarding military and overseas voting, visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program.
- See also: Early voting
Arkansas is one of 34 states that has early voting with no specific requirements as to who can vote early. Depending on the type of election, early voting begins seven to 15 days before an election and ends on the day prior to Election Day. The average number of days prior to an election that voters can cast an early ballot is 21 days in states with a definitive starting date.
- Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, "Three mayors facing rare recall action", August 8, 2012
- Cleveland County Herald, "Recall Election Set For Kingsland Mayor", August 8, 2012
- Arkansas Matters, "Redfield Mayor Faces Recall Election", August 8, 2012
- Arkansas Matters "Deadline: Register by Monday to Vote in Arkansas Primary," April 22, 2012
- Arkansas Secretary of State "2012 Election Calendar" Accessed May 7, 2012
- Arkansas Secretary of State "Voter Registration" Accessed May 7, 2012
- Arkansas Secretary of State, "Absentee Voting," accessed December 18, 2013
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Arkansas Secretary of State, "Voting in Arkansas," accessed December 18, 2013