|Illinois State Senate District 43|
|2005 - February 2012|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Bachelor's||Loyola University of Chicago (1990)|
|J.D.||Chicago – Kent College of Law (1993)|
|Date of birth||May 14, 1968|
|Place of birth||Joliet, Illinois|
Wilhelmi graduated with his Bachelor's degree from Loyola-Chicago and his Juris Doctor degree from Chicago-Kent Law.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Wilhelmi served on committees:
- Agriculture and Conservation Committee, Illinois State Senate, Vice Chair
- Committee of the Whole, Illinois Senate
- Environment Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Gaming Committee, Illinois State Senate
- Judiciary Committee, Illinois State Senate, Chair
- Transportation Committee, Illinois State Senate
In the 2009-2010 legislative session, Wilhelmi served on these committees:
In May 2011, Wilhelmi sponsored House Bill 180, which would require protesters to move an extra 100 feet away from grieving families at funeral services.
Senators unanimously approved House Bill 180 to keep protesters at a distance of 300 feet away from the funeral site. Protesters are not permitted to engage in “disorderly conduct,” such as loud singing, playing music and chanting, 30 minutes before and after the funeral or memorial service.
“I think the 300 feet will … expand the zone slightly so that families who are grieving will be less disrupted and will have the ability to mourn the loss of their loved ones, without this bill failing in court,” said state Sen. A.J. Wilhelmi.
Wilhelmi added that the bill still protects freedom of speech.
Sen. William Haine, a co-sponsor, said the legislation helps provide respect to military families.
“It is certainly within the interest of this state to establish peace and order at a funeral site,”said Haine.
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2012
Wilhelmi ran for re-election to the Illinois State Senate in District 43 in the 2012 election. Wilhelmi was unopposed in the Democratic primary on March 20, 2012. He would have faced Republican Sandy Johnson in the general election on November 6, 2012, but resigned in February.
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2010
|Illinois State Senate, District 43 (2010)|
|Arthur Wilhelmi (D)||38,663||61.18%|
|Cedra Crenshaw (R)||24,536||38.82%|
The election took place on November 2, 2010. Wilhelmi ran unopposed in the Democratic primary election on February 2nd.
|Illinois State Senate, District 43 (2006)|
|Arthur Wilhelmi (D)||38,113|
|Christian Smith (R)||16,167|
In 2010, Wilhelmi received $1,095,890 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Illinois State Senate 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Arthur Wilhelmi's campaign in 2010|
|Illinois Senate Democratic Fund||$267,934|
|Illinois Democratic Party||$204,291|
|Illinois Education Association||$35,133|
|Associated Beer Distributors Of Illinois||$16,000|
|International Brotherhood Of Electrical Workers||$11,700|
|Total Raised in 2010||$1,095,890|
In 2006, Wilhelmi collected $256,389 in donations.
Listed below are those that contributed most to his campaign.
|International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers||$11,000|
|Penn National Gaming||$10,000|
|Chicago Auto Trade Association||$8,000|
|Illinois Federation of Teachers||$7,000|
|Illinois Senate Democratic Fund||$5,000|
|Associated Beer Distributors of Illinois||$5,000|
|Illinois Trial Lawyers Association||$4,500|
|Archer Daniels Midland||$4,000|
|Associated Fire Fighters of Illinois||$4,000|
|Illinois Automobile Dealers Association||$3,500|
|Illinois State Medical Society||$3,000|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Arthur + Wilhelmi + Illinois + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Wilhelmi represented Illinois Senate District 43. District 43 includeed the Southwest Chicago suburbs of Crest Hill, Joliet, and Lockport.
A.J. is married to Michelle Wilhelmi. They have three children and reside in Joliet, Illinois.
- Wilhelmi's campaign website
- Biography from the Illinois General Assembly
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006
- Wilhelmi's facebook
- Wilhelmi's LinkedIn
- Wilhelmi's twitter
- Herald News, "Pulse: Quitting won’t take Wilhelmi off ballot," February 5, 2012
- "Illinois General Assembly" List of Illinois Senate Committees, July 28, 2009
- "Illinois places limits on protests; sex offender law tougher," By Diane S.W. Lee and Mary J. Cristobal, Illinois Statehouse News, May 23, 2011
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Candidate List," accessed December 5, 2011
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results," accessed May 14, 2014
- Illinois Board of Elections, "2010 Illinois General Election Results," November 2, 2010
- Illinois Democratic Party, "2010 Illinois Primary Election Results," February 3, 2010
- Illinois Senate election results for 2006
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Wilhelmi Campaign Donors
- "Illinois Chamber of Commerce Northeast Illinois Legislative District Maps, July 29, 2009
|Illinois Senate District 43
| Succeeded by|