|Norwalk Board of Education, At-large|
|Years in position||3|
|Board Vice Chair|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|Next general||November 2017|
|Appointed||May 11, 2011|
Kassimis attended Iona College and previously worked at Purdue Frederick. He is a former IT executive who currently serves as the pastor of World Alive Bible Church. Kassimis has been a Little League baseball and youth softball coach since 1998.
Interview with Artie Kassimis
- See also: Norwalk Public Schools elections (2013)
Kassimis won election to a first full term on the board against nine other candidates for four seats on November 5, 2013. He ran on the Republican slate along with incumbents Sue Haynie and challengers John G. Bazzano and Lauren Rosato.
|Norwalk Public Schools, General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Democratic||Heidi Keyes Incumbent||12.2%||6,985|
|Republican||Artle Kassimis Incumbent||12.1%||6,917|
|Republican||Sue Haynie Incumbent||11.4%||6,500|
|Norwalk Community Values||Steve Colarossi Incumbent||3.6%||2,073|
|Norwalk Community Values||Andres Roman||3.1%||1,795|
|Working Families||Shirley Mosby||1.1%||610|
|Working Families||Heidi Keyes||0.9%||532|
|Source: Connecticut Secretary of State, "Municipal Elections - November 5, 2013," accessed November 6, 2013 These results are unofficial and not certified. They will be updated once certified results are available.|
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
Kassimis explained his top priorities in the 2013 campaign in an interview with the League of Women Voters of Norwalk:
My priorities will be to continue to work with our Superintendent to raise the bar for our schools and ensure that every student receives an equitable education.
Continue to implement the recommendations of our financial audit to ensure that the Norwalk School system remains fiscally sound. These recommendations will enable us to properly align our budget with the goals of our School system.
Work closely with our city’s Police and Fire Departments and ensure that all security measures are being followed.
Note: The above quote is from the candidate's website, which may include some typographical or spelling errors.
What was at stake
Democratic incumbents Leticia Colon, Thomas Mulligan, Jr. and Bobby Simmons did not file for re-election in 2013. The Democratic primary yielded a slate including Andre Baker, Jr., Dave Hennessey and Howard Gardner. Although the candidates were not endorsed by the party's town committee, all three won election to the board. The Bridgeport Republican Town Committee selected Steve Best, John Weldon and Joe Larcheveque as their candidates for the board. Weldon was the only Republican pick to not win election to the board.  The Working Families Party sought to retain two seats and pick up a Democratic seat by endorsing incumbent Sauda Baraka and Eric Stewart-Alicea, as well as Democratic candidate Baker. Neither Baraka nor Stewart-Alicea won election to the board.
About the district
- See also: Norwalk Public Schools, Connecticut
Norwalk outperforms the rest of Connecticut based on median income, poverty levels and higher education achievement. The 2010 U.S. Census found the median income in Norwalk was $76,384 while the state median income was $69,243. The city's poverty rate was 8% compared to the state's 9.5% poverty rate. The percentage of city residents over 25 years old with undergraduate degrees (40.2%) was lower than the state average (35.7%).
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Artie + Kassimis + Norwalk + Schools"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- District page
- Norwalk Republican Town Committee
- 2010 Connecticut general election candidates
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Artie Kassimis 2010 campaign website
- 2013 Campaign Facebook page
- 2010 Campaign Facebook page
- Twitter page
- Norwalk Daily Voice, "Norwalk Republicans Pick Kassimis for School Board," May 12, 2011
- "Project Vote Smart", "Artie Kassimis' Biography", Accessed October 11, 2013
- Norwalk Net, "Candidate Interview: Artie Kassimis (R)," October 29, 2009
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "2010 General Election Results," Accessed October 11, 2013
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "2010 Primary Election Results," Accessed October 11, 2013
- Daily Voice, "League of Women Voters of Norwalk 2013 Voters Guide," Accessed November 5, 2013
- Connecticut Post, "Challengers win school board primary," September 11, 2013
- CT News, "Plenty willing to join the Bridgeport BOE fray," July 25, 2013
- CT News, "Working Families Party picks BOE slate," August 10, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Norwalk," Accessed October 24, 2013
- Connecticut Secretary of State, "Election Results," Accessed October 10, 2013