Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Virginia House of Delegates, District 13|
|High school||Parkville High School, 1996|
|Bachelor's||George Washington University, 2000|
|Master's||George Mason University, 2007; Strayer University|
Qarni was raised Parkville, MD with his parents and his two brothers. He enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserves after graduating from Parkville High School in 1996. He earned a bachelor's degree in sociology from George Washington University in 2000, and finished a master's degree in history from George Mason University in 2007. He also earned a master's degree in education administration from Strayer University.
Qarni teaches eighth grade mathematics at Beville Middle School in Prince William County. In 2003, Qarni was deployed in Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom. He also served during Operation Enduring Freedom.
Qarni's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Jobs and Economic Growth
Excerpt: "Atif Qarni will ensure Virginia remains the best state for business. He supports giving Virginia companies first preference for state contracts so we don’t outsource. By strengthening our local economy, we’ll be able to create jobs and stabilize property values."
Excerpt: "As a Prince William County Public School teacher and a parent, Qarni knows how important it is to focus our resources on classrooms so we prepare our children for career success and build a highly skilled workforce that will lure businesses to Virginia."
Excerpt: "Qarni knows that improving our transportation infrastructure will reduce traffic congestion and ensure Virginia attracts companies that will create good jobs and strengthen our economy."
- Protecting Women's Health
Excerpt: "Qarni believes family planning decisions are personal, and not something government should be involved in. That’s why he’ll fight back Richmond politicians who target Planned Parenthood and restrict access to contraception, prenatal care and other basic health care services for women."
- Reducing Gun Violence
Excerpt: "Qarni will support passing common sense legislation to stop violent felons and the mentally ill from getting firearms."
Qarni and his wife, Fatima, have two children, Zane and Saber. Qarni lives in Manassas, VA. He has coached for the Greater Manassas Football League, the Manassas Park Youth Football League, the Northern Virginia Soccer League, and Track and Field at Fred Lynn Middle and Beville Middle Schools.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Atif + Qarni + Virginia + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Campaign website
- Atif Qarni on Twitter
- Atif Qarni on Facebook
- Virginia Public Access Project profile
- Project Vote Smart Biography
- Manassas Patch, "Bob Marshall Challenger Atif Qarni Opens Campaign Office in Manassas," August 6, 2013</ref>
- Potomac Local, "Qarni Opens Campaign Office, Hopes to Unseat Marshall," August 5, 2013
- Manassas Patch, "Veteran Marine Challenges Bob Marshall For Delegate Seat," July 18, 2013
- Bristow Beat, "Qarni Challenges Marshall as 'New Face' of 13th District," August 6, 2013
- The Muslim Link, "Math Teacher Running for VA House of Delegates," august 13, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "2013 Official Candidates List for House of Delegates by District", Accessed July 11, 2013
- Qarni for Delegate, "About Atif," accessed August 27, 2013
- Qarni for Delegate, "Issues," accessed August 27, 2013
- Project Vote Smart, "Atif Qarni - Biography," accessed August 27, 2013
State of Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chairman of State Corporation Commission |