Attorney General of Indiana
|Indiana Attorney General|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$32,639,584|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||Indiana Code, Title 4, Article 6, Chapter 1, Section 2|
|Assumed office:||January 2008|
|Next election:||November 8, 2016|
|Last election:||November 6, 2012|
|Other Indiana Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditors: Auditor • Examiner • Superintendent of Public Instruction • Agriculture Director • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Director • Labor Commissioner • Utility Regulatory Commission|
The current attorney general of Indiana is Greg Zoeller (R). He was first elected in 2008 and re-elected in 2012.
Title 4, Article 6, Chapter 1, Section 2 of the Indiana Code addresses the office of attorney general:
There is created the office of attorney general for the state to be administered by an attorney general who shall be elected under IC 3-10-2-6 by the voters of the state...
Qualifications for the office of Attorney General are set out in Title 4, Article 6, Chapter 1, Section 3 of the Indiana Code.
- Citizen of the Indiana
- Licensed to practice law in Indiana
Indiana elects attorneys general in the Presidential elections, that is, in leap years. For Indiana 2004, 2008, 2012, and 2016 are all attorney general election years. The four-year term begins on the second Monday in January following the election.
- See also: Indiana attorney general election, 2012
|Attorney General of Indiana General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Greg Zoeller Incumbent||58%||1,453,334|
|Election Results via Indiana Secretary of State.|
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that details the process of filling vacancies for a state executive office. That information for the Attorney General of Indiana has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
The Attorney General of Indiana is responsible for the prosecution of all civil actions brought in the name of the state of Indiana or any state agency.
The Attorney General of Indiana is responsible for all prosecution of criminal campaign finance complaints. The first step in filing a complaint is to file with the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State's office is responsible for investigating all complaints. The Indiana Election Commission is responsible for handling all civil law violations.
The office of the Attorney General of Indiana has the following 12 divisions:
- Advisory and Opinions
- Consumer Protection
- Identity Theft
- Medical Fraud
- Patient Abuse and Neglect
- Telephone Privacy
- Tobacco Enforcement
- Unclaimed Property
- Victim Assistance
The Attorney General's budget for the 2013-2014 fiscal year was $32,639,584.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Historical officeholders Component
There have been 42 attorneys general since 1855. Of the 42 officeholders, 23 were Republican and 19 were Democrat.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Indiana + Attorney + General
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Indiana Government Center South
302 W. Washington St.
Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Indiana Code, "IC 4-6 ARTICLE 6. ATTORNEY GENERAL," accessed November 20, 2011
- Indiana Code, "IC 3-10-2-6 Year for election of governor, lieutenant governor, attorney general, and superintendent of public instruction," accessed November 26, 2011
- Indiana Code, "CHAPTER 3. DUTIES IN CIVIL ACTIONS," accessed November 26, 2011
- [Confirmed in a email with IN SOS staff on 1-21-2010]
- Indiana Attorney General, "Homepage," accessed November 26, 2011
- 2013 - 2015 As-Passed Budget, "C--Operating," I-7, accessed June 26, 2013
- The Council of State Governments, "Book of the States 2013, Table 4.11," accessed February 2, 2014.
- Indiana State Library, Attorneys General, accessed October 10, 2013
State of Indiana
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of State | State Examiner | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Utility Regulatory Commission |