Difference between revisions of "Attorney General of Nevada"
Revision as of 02:37, 3 December 2010
|State executive officials|
The attorney general may also work with or help district attorneys, local law enforcement, and federal and international criminal justice agencies in the administration of justice. In addition, the attorney general establishes and operates projects and programs to protect Nevadans from fraud or illegal activities that target consumers or threaten public safety, and enforces laws that safeguard the environment and natural resources. Under the state Constitution, the attorney general is elected to a four-year term.
The current officeholder is Catherine Cortez Masto.
The office is divided into the following divisions:
- Bureau of Consumer Protection:Enforces consumer protection statutes; consumer rights education; filing consumer complaints; advocating consumer voice in cases with privately held utility companies.
- Civil: largest division of the attorney general, which is providing legal representation to over 200 state agencies, boards and commissions.
- Criminal Justice:Criminal Justice Division is comprised of 4 prosecution units in 4 regional offices across the state. These units are: the Public Integrity Unit, Special Prosecutions Unit, Insurance Fraud Unit and Workers’ Compensation Fraud Unit.
- Gaming: A large portion of the division's litigation is comprised of disciplinary actions brought against gaming licensees for violations of gaming regulations and statutes, litigating disputes regarding the proper payment of taxes and fees, hearings on the surrender of gaming licenses for non-payment of taxes, and actions to add to the list of excluded persons (Black Book).
- Health and Human Services: includes its Divisions of Health Care Finance and Policy (Medicaid), Welfare and Supportive Services, Health, Mental Health and Developmental Services, Aging Services and the Division of Child and Family Services.
- Information Services
- Investigations:investigate criminal offenses committed by state officers and employees
- Litigation: It provides litigation assistance and advice to deputy attorney generals in other Divisions handling their own litigation.
- Transportation and Public Safety
- Specialized areas:
- Domestic Violence Unit
- Insurance Fraud Unit
- Medicaid Fraud Control Unit
- Nevada Missing Children's Clearinghouse
- Nevada Technological Crime Board
- Open Meeting Law Enforcement Unit
- Private Investigator's Licensing Board
- Public Integrity Unit
- Senior Medicare Patrol
- Tobacco Unit
- Workers' Compensation Fraud Unit
- Main article: Campaign finance requirements for Nevada ballot measures
The Nevada Attorney General is responsible for all disciplinary matters of the state's campaign finance laws. All complaints are referred to the Attorney General from the Nevada Secretary of State. The first step in filing a complaint against a person or a committee is to file with the Secretary of State. The Attorney General handles all complaints regardless if it involves civil or criminal law.
- 2006 Race for Attorney General - Democratic Primary
- Catherine Cortez Masto ran unopposed
|2006 Race for Attorney General - General Election |
|Catherine Cortez Masto (D)||59%|
|Don Chairez (R)||35.6%|
- See also: Nevada Attorney General election, 2010
- 2010 Race for Attorney General - Democratic Primary
- Catherine Cortez Masto ran unopposed
|2010 Race for Attorney General - Republican Primary |
|Travis Barrick (R)||44.4%|
|Jacob Hafter (R)||34.2%|
|None of these candidates||21.4%|
Office of the Attorney General
Carson City Office
100 North Carson Street
Carson City, NV 89701-4717
- Nevada Attorney General Catherine Cortez Masto
- Nevada Governor
- Nevada Lieutenant Governor
- Nevada Secretary of State
State of Nevada
Carson City (capital)
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Controller | State Treasurer | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Conservation and Natural Resources | Director of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation | Chairman of Public Utilities Commission |