Ballot initiatives filed for the 2010 ballot
Revision as of 12:18, 1 July 2010 by Alejandortiz
This page does count:
- Ballot initiatives and veto measures that have been filed.
- Initiatives that were withdrawn or abandoned after they were filed.
- Initiatives that failed to qualify for the ballot because they missed a petition drive deadline.
- Initiatives that were filed in states with a rolling petition deadline that might still qualify for the 2011 ballot or 2012 ballot.
- Multiple versions of what appears to basically be the same initiative.
- Initiatives that have already qualified for a 2010 ballot.
This page does not count:
- Ballot measures proposed by a state legislature.
- Initiatives that groups have said they are going to file, but have not actually filed.
|State||Filings website||Feb 1 Filed (Certified)||# on 3/1/2010||# on 4/1/2010||# on 5/1/2010||# on 6/1/2010||# on 7/1/2010||# on 8/1/2010|
|Alaska||Current filings||8 (1/1)||8||8||8||8||8||8|
|California ( for June)||Current filings||83 (2/1)||93 (2/1)||98||96||96|
|Colorado||Current filings||40 (3)||44||98||98||98||98|
|Florida||Current filings||49 (3)||49||49||49||49||49||49|
|Massachusetts ( for sig deadline)||Current filings||30||30||30||30||30|
|Michigan ( for CISS)||Current filings||3||4||5||5||5||5|
|Mississippi||Current filings||8 (0)||8||8||8||8||8||8|
|North Dakota ( for June)||Current filings||3||3||6||8||9||9|
|South Dakota||Current filings||4||4||5||5||5||5||5|
- Not all states set a deadline by which sponsors must file a copy of a proposed initiative. In states that do not have a deadline by which a sponsor must file a copy of the proposed initiative with elections officials, the only relevant deadline is the signature deadline.
- Sponsors of many, and perhaps even most, of the initiatives filed for the 2010 ballot will withdraw or abandon them, in many cases without mounting a serious petition drive.
- A separate list of initiatives whose sponsors officially withdrew them is forthcoming. Most initiatives that are destined to fail are not officially withdrawn.
- Even if they missed their 2010 deadline, as long as they did have a chance of qualifying for the 2010 ballot.
- As evidenced by the fact that the multiple versions were filed by the same sponsor or group of sponsors, and include very similar but not entirely identical language.
- See 2010 ballot measures and Potential 2010 ballot measures for information about legislative referrals that have or might qualify for the 2010 ballot.
- The number of "filed initiatives" listed in this chart as of April 2, 2010 for California includes 85 that are cleared for circulation, 1 that is pending signature verification, 5 that are known to have failed to qualify, 4 that are pending at the attorney general's office and 3 that have been certified for the ballot (2 for June and 1 for November)
- The number of "filed initiatives" listed in this chart as of May 4, 2010 for California includes 71 that are cleared for circulation, 2 that are pending signature verification, 17 that are known to have failed to qualify, 3 that are pending at the attorney general's office and 3 that have been certified for the ballot (2 for June and 1 for November). These figures are as given on the California Secretary of State's website as of May 4, 2010.
- According to the California Secretary of State's website as retrieved and read on June 1, 4 initiatives have qualified for the 2010 ballot (2 for the June ballot and 2 for the November ballot), 7 initiatives have had their signatures submitted and are pending verification, 55 are cleared for circulation, 25 are abandoned/withdrawn/missed their deadline, and 3 are pending with the California Attorney General's office where they await the preparation of a ballot title and summary.
- On February 1, 2010 a total of 31 filed initiatives were listed on the Missouri Secretary of State's website. After contacting the secretary of state's office on February 23, 2010 by email it was verified that the state does not list every "initially proposed petition." The list of initiatives provided by the state includes only "2010 Initiative Petitions Approved for Circulation in Missouri."
- On March 1, 2010 a total of 22 filed initiatives "approved for circulation" were listed on the Missouri Secretary of State's; a lower number than reported in prior months. There is no indication on the state website why the number has decreased; whether it be because initiatives were withdrawn, expired or were duplicates. According to a February 21, 2010 article by the News-Leader an estimated 101 initiatives have been filed since the end of the 2008 November election. On May 2, 2010 the Secretary of State's office verified an estimated 100 initiatives were filed. But these initiative are not listed anywhere that could be viewed online. As a result, we and the general public have no access to them.
- On May 2, 2010 a total of 23 filed initiatives "approved for circulation" were listed on the secretary of state's website; a lower number than previously reported. There is no indication on the state website why the number has decreased; whether it be because initiatives were withdrawn, expired or were duplicates.