Ballot initiatives filed for the 2012 ballot
Revision as of 08:33, 24 April 2012 by Alejandortiz
This page does count:
- Ballot initiatives and veto measures that have been filed.
- Initiatives that were withdrawn or abandoned after they were filed.
- Initiatives that failed to qualify for the ballot because they missed a petition drive deadline.
- Initiatives that were filed in states with a rolling petition deadline that might still qualify for the 2013 ballot or 2014 ballot.
- Multiple versions of what appears to basically be the same initiative.
- Initiatives that have already qualified for a 2012 ballot.
This page does not count:
- Ballot measures proposed by a state legislature.
- Initiatives that groups have said they are going to file, but have not actually filed.
|State||Filings website||# on 9/1/2011||# on 10/1/2011||# on 11/1/2011||# on 12/1/2011||# on 1/1/2012||# on 2/1/2012||# on 3/1/2012||# on 4/1/2012|
|New Mexico||Current filings||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|North Dakota||Current filings||2||2||2||2||4||5||7||8|
|South Dakota||Current filings||2||4||5||5||5||5||5||5|
- Not all states set a deadline by which sponsors must file a copy of a proposed initiative. In states that do not have a deadline by which a sponsor must file a copy of the proposed initiative with elections officials, the only relevant deadline is the signature deadline.
- Sponsors of many, and perhaps even most, of the initiatives filed for the 2012 ballot will withdraw or abandon them, in many cases without mounting a serious petition drive.
- A separate list of initiatives whose sponsors officially withdrew them is forthcoming. Most initiatives that are destined to fail are not officially withdrawn.
- Even if they missed their 2012 deadline, as long as they did have a chance of qualifying for the 2012 ballot.
- As evidenced by the fact that the multiple versions were filed by the same sponsor or group of sponsors, and include very similar but not entirely identical language.
- See 2012 ballot measures and Potential 2012 ballot measures for information about legislative referrals that have or might qualify for the 2012 ballot.
- Filings have not yet been made public
- In December 2011 a total of 30 filed initiatives "approved for circulation" were listed on the secretary of state's website; a lower number than previously reported. There is no indication on the state website why the number has decreased; whether it be because initiatives were withdrawn, expired or were duplicates.
- Petitions listed for 2012 were grouped with 2010 filings since 2010 filings attempted to gain ballot access in 2012
- Nevada Secretary of State revised previous list, with new list showing only three proposals filed.
- These proposals reflect initiatives the legislature, also known as indirect initiated state statute or Initiative to the People. No initiatives to the people or initiated state statutes have yet been filed for 2012. Initiatives to the legislature