Ballotpedia's 2012 General Election Preview Articles: Hawaii Congressional Seats
By Ballotpedia's Congressional team
|Hawaii's Congressional Elections in 2012|
|U.S. Senate Election?||U.S. House seats||Possible competitive races?|
Currently, the Democratic Party holds both of the two Congressional seats from Hawaii. Neither U.S. House seat is expected to to be competitive in the general election.
Hawaii has one U.S. Senate seat on the ballot in 2012. Democratic representative Mazie Hirono faces Republican Linda Lingle, a former Governor of Hawaii. As of October 4th, the Cook Political Report rated the race as Leaning Democratic.
|State||General Election Candidates||Incumbent||2012 Winner||Partisan Switch?|
|Hawaii Class 1 Senate seat|| Mazie Hirono
James Brewer, Jr.
None of Hawaii's two districts are considered to be competitive in 2012 according to the New York Times race ratings.
In Hawaii's 1st congressional district, Democratic incumbent Colleen Hanabusa faces a challenge from former representative Charles Djou in the general election. Hanabusa ousted Djou from the position in 2010, and the two now face a rematch with reversed roles. Unlike in 2010, the race is not thought to be particularly competitive.
In Hawaii's 2nd congressional district, Democrat Tulsi Gabbard faces David Crowley (R) in the general election. Gabbard won a tight primary for the open seat. As is the case in the first district, this seat is expected to remain in Democratic hands.
Here is a complete list of U.S. House candidates appearing on the general election ballot in Hawaii:
- Candidates running by District
- Partisan breakdown by district
- Comparison of new and old redistricting maps
|District||General Election Candidates||Incumbent||2012 Winner||Partisan Switch?|
|1st|| Colleen Hanabusa
|2nd|| Tulsi Gabbard
|Mazie K. Hirono||Pending||Pending|
|Members of the U.S. House from Hawaii -- Partisan Breakdown|
|Party||As of November 2012||After the 2012 Election|
| Congressional Redistricting Map, approved 2011
For more information, view Redistricting in Hawaii.
- 2012 elections review: Handful of incumbents defeated in Hawaii primaries August 13
- 2012 elections preview: Hawaii voters to select winners in congressional, legislative primaries August 10
- Ballotpedia's 2012 General Election Preview Articles: Hawaii State Legislature
- Ballotpedia:2012 general election preview articles
- November 6, 2012 election results
- United States Congressional election results, 2012
- United States Senate elections in Hawaii, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections in Hawaii, 2012
- Hawaii elections, 2012
- National contested primary average during the 2012 U.S. congressional elections