Ballotpedia's 2012 General Election Preview Articles: Mississippi Congressional Seats
By Ballotpedia's Congressional team
|Mississippi's Congressional Elections in 2012|
|U.S. Senate Election?||U.S. House seats||Possible competitive races?|
JACKSON: Mississippi: Mississippi has four U.S. House seats and one U.S. Senate seat on the ballot in 2012. All four U.S. House incumbents face at least two challengers in the general election. Three challengers look to unseat incumbent Senator Roger Wicker (R) in the general election. No partisan switches are likely to occur in Mississippi.
Currently, three of the four Congressional seats are held by Republican incumbents with the other being held by a Democratic incumbent.
Mississippi has one U.S. Senate seat on the ballot in 2012. Republican incumbent Roger Wicker is expected to defeat his Democratic opponent Albert N. Gore in the general election. Thomas Cramer is running for the seat as a Constitution Party candidate and Shawn O'Hara is seeking election as a Reform Party candidate. Wicker was first appointed to the Senate in 2007.
|State||General Election Candidates||Incumbent||2012 Winner||Partisan Switch?|
|Mississippi Class 1 Senate seat|| Albert N. Gore
All four of Mississippi's congressional seats are rated as non-competitive by both the New York Times or Cook Political Report race ratings in 2012. The new redistricting maps were drawn as incumbent protection districts.
Here is a complete list of U.S. House candidates appearing on the general election ballot in Mississippi:
- Candidates running by District
- Partisan breakdown by district
- Comparison of new and old redistricting maps
|District||General Election Candidates||Incumbent||2012 Winner||Partisan Switch?|
|1st|| Brad Morris
Jim R. Bourland
|2nd|| Bennie Thompson
|3rd|| Vicki Slater
John Luke Pannell
|4th|| Matthew Moore
Robert W. Claunch
| Congressional Redistricting Map, approved December 2011
For more information, view Redistricting in Mississippi.
- 2012 elections: Incumbents sweep congressional primaries in Alabama, Mississippi March 14
- 2012 Elections preview: Bachus and Bonner targeted in Alabama, Mississippi incumbents are more secure March 13
- Ballotpedia:2012 general election preview articles
- November 6, 2012 election results
- United States Congressional election results, 2012
- United States Senate elections in Mississippi, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections in Mississippi, 2012
- Mississippi elections, 2012
- National contested primary average during the 2012 U.S. congressional elections