Ballotpedia's 2012 General Election Preview Articles: Montana Congressional Seats
By Ballotpedia's Congressional team
|Montana's Congressional Elections in 2012|
|U.S. Senate Election?||U.S. House seats||Possible competitive races?|
HELENA: Montana: Montana has one at-large U.S. House seat and one U.S. Senate seat on the ballot in 2012. The U.S. House incumbent, Denny Rehberg (R), is running for U.S. Senate against Democratic incumbent Jon Tester. This leaves an open U.S. House seat, with three candidates competing.
Incumbent Jon Tester (D) was first elected in 2006, and in the 2012 race challenger Denny Rehberg regularly attacks Tester for his voting record and cooperation with and support for President Barack Obama (D) over the course of his term. Tester and Rehberg are in a close and bitter competition for the seat, and the attacks have gone both ways: Tester, in turn, criticizes Rehberg's personal record and history in Montana politics.
|State||General Election Candidates||Incumbent||2012 Winner||Partisan Switch?|
|Montana Class 1 Senate seat||
Kim Gillan(D) and Steve Daines(R) compete for Montana's open U.S. House seat. After a fairly calm race, the candidates began to clash in debates leading up the election. Despite these final attempts to define themselves and each other for the voters of Montana, polls have consistently shown Daines with a modest lead. This race is rated "likely Republican" by both the Cook Political Report and the New York Times.
Here is a complete list of U.S. House candidates appearing on the general election ballot in Montana:
- Candidates running by District
- Partisan breakdown by district
- Comparison of new and old redistricting maps
Note: Election results were added on election night as races were called. Vote totals will be added when official election results are certified. For more information about Ballotpedia's election coverage plan, click here. If you find any errors in this list, please email: Geoff Pallay.
|District||General Election Candidates||Incumbent||2012 Winner||Partisan Switch?|
|At-large|| Kim Gillan
|Members of the U.S. House from Maine -- Partisan Breakdown|
|Party||As of November 2012||After the 2012 Election|
Montana has one at-large district.
For more information, view Redistricting in Montana.
- Ballotpedia's 2012 General Election Preview Articles: Montana State Legislature
- Ballotpedia:2012 general election preview articles
- November 6, 2012 election results
- United States Congressional election results, 2012
- United States Senate elections in Montana, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections in Montana, 2012
- Montana elections, 2012
- National contested primary average during the 2012 U.S. congressional elections
- ↑ vote411.org - Voting In Montana
- ↑ The Hill "Tester & Rehberg" accessed October 31, 2012
- ↑ Cook Political Reports "Senate Race ratings" October 4, 2012
- ↑ NYT "Senate Race Ratings" Accessed October 31, 2012
- ↑ Helenair "Daines & Gillan" accessed October 31, 2012
- ↑ Cook Political Reports "House Race ratings" October 4, 2012
- ↑ NYT "House Race Ratings" Accessed October 31, 2012