Ortiz graduated from Syracuse University in New York in 2009 with a B.A. in Writing and Rhetoric prior to joining the staff of Ballotpedia in July 2009.
Raised in McAllen, Texas, Ortiz is a fan to the max of the Dallas Cowboys. His love of football and his work on Ballotpedia came together over Santa Clara Measure J recently. He loves dogs, country music, and anything you can do with meat on a grill.
In 2011, Ortiz became editor of Ballotpedia's Tuesday Count, a weekly report that keeps running tabs on which ballot measures have been certified for statewide ballots in the previous week. The weekly reports are posted on the front page of Ballotpedia every Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. CT
Examples of Al's original reporting for Ballotpedia include:
- Time down to zero as Montana initiative petition deadline arrives
- Final Massachusetts initiative filing deadline arrives
- Ballotpedia's Ballot Measure Roundup: As certified measures rise, so do issues.
- Arizona sales tax question's supporters pour in the campaign donations
- Day 3 in New England: Less roads, more questions
- Maine Questions 3 and 5 fly under the political radar
- Contact about a story: firstname.lastname@example.org