Ballotpedia:Municipal Government Project, Assistant Staff Writer
The Lucy Burns Institute (LBI) is a nonprofit organization headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin. LBI is an entrepreneurial, mission-driven organization that encourages innovation and provides substantial opportunity for professional and personal growth.
Ballotpedia is a nonprofit and nonpartisan collaborative encyclopedia designed to connect people to politics utilizing a neutral point-of-view philosophy. We believe in the power of information to transform lives and politics, and we're committed to making the most knowledge available to the greatest number of people.
To develop and improve information on Ballotpedia’s Municipal Government Project. This includes, among other areas, city and county election and office holder coverage.
The Assistant Staff Writer is an hourly position on the newly-created Municipal Government project on Ballotpedia. This is a remote position. All assistant staff writers are expected to maintain a regular schedule of hours during the week. We are currently looking for somewhat less than full time ~ 25 hours per week.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Review, edit and improve wiki articles about municipal government in a systematic and organized fashion
- Various writing assignments (e.g. incumbent and candidate biographies, news articles, election coverage)
- Conduct original research on the rules and regulations surrounding municipal elections. This may include phone calls and emails with various sources.
- Various writing and quality control assignments
- Update pages on Ballotpedia using basic wiki code
- Exceptional organization skills and attention to detail
- Ability to generate concise and unbiased narrative on political matters
- Ability to multi-task, organize numerous moving parts of a project, and meet deadlines
- Strong self-motivation, as well as the ability to collaborate with others via a remote setting
- Excellent communication skills across a variety of platforms
- Ability to accurately and concisely add information to Ballotpedia in a non-partisan, unbiased manner
This is a remote position. In order to join our staff, you must have access to a computer with regular, unwavering, Internet access. Successful remote employees excel at certain skills. If you've never worked in a remote position, please consider this self-assessment before applying.
Hourly pay starts at $9.00.
To apply, email Sara Key by June 30, 2013. Please attach your resume to that email, including:
- two professional references
- cover letter detailing your sincere interest in this position and the mission of the organization
LBI is only able to respond to candidates to whom we are considering offering an interview. No phone calls, please. We appreciate your understanding and thank you for your interest in our organization.